hiss from transmission/clutch during quick shifts

huggytree

Established Member
when i do a quick shift i get a hiss from the clutch/trans when i pop the clutch up very fast

ive taken it into the local Ford dealer and they arent being much help...they dont see many(if any) 13/14 GT500's.....they have made calls to Ford and its going no where

the tech says it sounds like a blow off valve.....he thinks its normal.....its pretty loud....when i take people for rides and go fast to show off they always ask 'what is that noise'......they notice the hiss and not the SC whine

is this a normal thing?

(car has never been raced and has 4,000 miles on it)

huggytree

Established Member
Does it sound like a hiss, or closer to a whirl sound? Some other guys with 13/14 say that they can hear a whirling sound during hard shifts.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76568-13s-flywheel-whirl/

the whirl is when the clutch is pushed in...its not very loud...most noticable when backing it in to my garage when im on the clutch more....the whirl is normal

i do have the whirl but the noise i have is not the whirl

its a very loud PSSSST when shifting fast and raising the clutch fast(almost side stepping the clutch to release).....

since no one is really responding its making me think its not normal

lsp408

Established Member
Didn't think our car bypass valve is loud enough to be heard from the cab. Unless you got procharger. Then you will def hear the bov noise

huggytree

Established Member
My 2008 does the same thing and my old 2005GT also did it. I do not think its related to the supercharger or engine.
Dan

i just put the car in storage for the Winter today....im going to take it to another dealership next year...i still have 1 year left on the bumper to bumper.

my local dealership has done nothing for me and hasnt even called me back about the issue....last time i talked to them they were still talking with Ford about what it is....i can replicate it every time, so either its an issue or its not....i think its too loud to be normal

dont we have any other 13/14 gt500 owners that drive fast here?

Zemedici

Established Member
i just put the car in storage for the Winter today....im going to take it to another dealership next year...i still have 1 year left on the bumper to bumper.

my local dealership has done nothing for me and hasnt even called me back about the issue....last time i talked to them they were still talking with Ford about what it is....i can replicate it every time, so either its an issue or its not....i think its too loud to be normal

dont we have any other 13/14 gt500 owners that drive fast here?

Did you take a master technician/service manager for a ride to replicate the issue?

Be leary, because if you have to be ripping on the car to replicate it, that means techs will have to do the same. Just be mindful of that.

Last edited:

huggytree

Established Member
Did you take a master technician/service manager for a ride to replicate the issue?

Be leary, because if you have to be ripping on the car to replicate it, that means techs will have to do the same. Just be mindful of that.

yes i took the tech for a beat run.....it replicated the sound every time....he heard it 20x

you dont even necessarily have to be taking it to 7,000 rpms.....it still does it at 3,000 if you let the clutch up super fast....

Zemedici

Established Member
yes i took the tech for a beat run.....it replicated the sound every time....he heard it 20x

you dont even necessarily have to be taking it to 7,000 rpms.....it still does it at 3,000 if you let the clutch up super fast....

That's weird.....hmm....

Airbound

Established Member
BY any chance when you say hiss, does it resemble the sound of a slipping belt at all? Not as aggressive as a screeching slipping hard belt just a quick hisss like screech then goes away?

huggytree

Established Member
BY any chance when you say hiss, does it resemble the sound of a slipping belt at all? Not as aggressive as a screeching slipping hard belt just a quick hisss like screech then goes away?

yes it sounds like a slipping belt

instead of a hiss id say its more of a PSSSSST noise

Kel

Established Member
Mine does the same thing, and I've been wondering as well. Seems like it's only when deep into boost and shifting fast as noted. Figured it must be normal as I hadn't seen anything posted on the 13/14 section for this?

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
What you are describing sounds like a blow off valve.... But you don't have one. Anyway to have someone record you while driving to hear it and upload it here

Airbound

Established Member
yes it sounds like a slipping belt

instead of a hiss id say its more of a PSSSSST noise

Yup thought so, my 08 does this very loud when you get on it hard. It did it with the factory clutch and it did it with the Mcloud RST. With the RST it was a quieter sound but still there. Since it did it with both clutch set ups and the sound changed, it is definitely clutch thing. I assumed it is the engagement as other have alluded to. Now my 2010, with stock clutch, does it as well just like the description and sound you are explaining. Other than it being annoying, I don't worry about it on the cars to much. The noise is not getting progressively worse and it is constant, meaning I can replicate it whenever I want. If it was more of an intermittent thing id be more worried. My buddy just bought a 13 with 5K on it and his does the same thing. I think every GT 500 I have ever rode in or drove did it, and the thing I most don't notice it due to the engine noise, or SC whine, exhaust, etc.. Not sure if this helps you at all but at least you have piece of mind you re not alone.

huggytree

Established Member
Yup thought so, my 08 does this very loud when you get on it hard. It did it with the factory clutch and it did it with the Mcloud RST. With the RST it was a quieter sound but still there. Since it did it with both clutch set ups and the sound changed, it is definitely clutch thing. I assumed it is the engagement as other have alluded to. Now my 2010, with stock clutch, does it as well just like the description and sound you are explaining. Other than it being annoying, I don't worry about it on the cars to much. The noise is not getting progressively worse and it is constant, meaning I can replicate it whenever I want. If it was more of an intermittent thing id be more worried. My buddy just bought a 13 with 5K on it and his does the same thing. I think every GT 500 I have ever rode in or drove did it, and the thing I most don't notice it due to the engine noise, or SC whine, exhaust, etc.. Not sure if this helps you at all but at least you have piece of mind you re not alone.

thats the answer i was looking for.....kinda strange Ford cant just tell my dealership that....im sure they have heard of it before me...i cant be the only guy who took it in for it........yet they have no explanation

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
i just put the car in storage for the Winter today....I'm going to take it to another dealership next year...i still have 1 year left on the bumper to bumper.

my local dealership has done nothing for me and hasn't even called me back about the issue....last time i talked to them they were still talking with Ford about what it is....i can replicate it every time, so either its an issue or its not....i think its too loud to be normal.
don't we have any other 13/14 gt500 owners that drive fast here?
Let me know when you bring it in, huggytree.

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread