Hiring issues?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I would prefer answers from LEO's being they have done this but I will take all answers being I understand many other occupations and people go through extensive hiring process's as well these days.

I have been trying to get hired on for at a police department for a while now. No I don't have a perfect record and I account for that but that is all minor stuff and been a few years ago. Plus I am already certified and a collegiate officer graduate. I pass everything from the physical, written and oral review board and have made it to the chief interview at a couple different departments. Meaning I get top 5, top 10 or whatever. I just still haven't been selected. Is there any tips that I'm not doing right in the chief interview? Or am I just getting impatient and need to wait my time?

Thank you :beer:

ModularFan

Established Member
Politics play a major role in jobs like these! This could be key! Also sometimes It's best to be consistent about it, make phone calls, keep interested. the more interested and intrigue you seem they more likely they'll pick you, because you seem eager to want the job more then most.

noco5.0

Established Member
How minor? Hate to say it but with this economy and how competitive it is to get LEO jobs most Chiefs aren't going to take a chance on somebody. They are always going be cautious. As we all know people still slip through the cracks that shouldn't get hired. If you can't land a job as a police officer right now you might benefit from starting in a jail, community corrections, working with troubled kids, higher end security job, military, etc. Most issues can be looked past if there is alot of distance since your last problem and you have some good work history since then. Don't know your background but that's my advice.

derockgt

Established Member
try applying for government Jobs on USA jobs that shit is driving me CRAZY. I gotten emails back about be among the most highly qualified ect... and nothing has come through!! when I email or call about the vacancy(sometimes months after the closing date with no notifications on the status) they just say we will let you know when the position has been filled or if you are selected. I feel like its a giant scam!! I even have Vet preference being former military. all jobs relating directly to what I did while I was in.

sorry for the rant but I feel your frustration!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Politics play a major role in jobs like these! This could be key! Also sometimes It's best to be consistent about it, make phone calls, keep interested. the more interested and intrigue you seem they more likely they'll pick you, because you seem eager to want the job more then most.

I know this is definitely true. I honestly feel I have been passed up on more than one occassion for this exact reason.

How minor? Hate to say it but with this economy and how competitive it is to get LEO jobs most Chiefs aren't going to take a chance on somebody. They are always going be cautious. As we all know people still slip through the cracks that shouldn't get hired. If you can't land a job as a police officer right now you might benefit from starting in a jail, community corrections, working with troubled kids, higher end security job, military, etc. Most issues can be looked past if there is alot of distance since your last problem and you have some good work history since then. Don't know your background but that's my advice.

Very minor traffic and contributing beer to a minor all over 5 years ago. I work for the sheriff's office in the jail already. I have been doing that for over three years. I have been in the military as a cop for almost 7 years and already made E-5. I'd say that my resume should look pretty good for the most part.

try applying for government Jobs on USA jobs that shit is driving me CRAZY. I gotten emails back about be among the most highly qualified ect... and nothing has come through!! when I email or call about the vacancy(sometimes months after the closing date with no notifications on the status) they just say we will let you know when the position has been filled or if you are selected. I feel like its a giant scam!! I even have Vet preference being former military. all jobs relating directly to what I did while I was in.

sorry for the rant but I feel your frustration!

You're fine but I don't want a government job trust me I could probably get one working on base here locally. I know people out there and could probably get one I just don't want that, even though it will pay tons more than being law enforcement.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
As others have said, sometimes it's who you know. If we had two equally qualified candidates apply and one of them knew someone within the Dept. that could vouch for some things not necessarily detectible in an interview process, that person would have the edge.

Have you done any ride alongs with the Departments you're applying to? Sometimes it's the only way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck, that criminal charge is going to be a pain in the ass to overcome. Regardless of how long ago it was.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
As others have said, sometimes it's who you know. If we had two equally qualified candidates apply and one of them knew someone within the Dept. that could vouch for some things not necessarily detectible in an interview process, that person would have the edge.

Have you done any ride alongs with the Departments you're applying to? Sometimes it's the only way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck, that criminal charge is going to be a pain in the ass to overcome. Regardless of how long ago it was.

No I haven't really done any ride alongs but have thought about it. Maybe I should, it's a good idea I just don't have a lot of spare time lately.

And yes I know that but I hope I can get over it. It was just a city charge and I just paid the ticket and was released.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
No I haven't really done any ride alongs but have thought about it. Maybe I should, it's a good idea I just don't have a lot of spare time lately.

And yes I know that but I hope I can get over it. It was just a city charge and I just paid the ticket and was released.

If this is truly what you want to do then I suggest you make time. You need to show commitment, sacrifice. Didn't you say you were in Military? You know this already.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
If this is truly what you want to do then I suggest you make time. You need to show commitment, sacrifice. Didn't you say you were in Military? You know this already.

Touche' sir. I will go about some steps of trying to do so. I work nights and weekends so it just makes adjusting my schedule harder. Which I know you know how that goes. Thanks

ModularFan

Established Member

Like svtcop said, go for a ride along, ask questions, even if you think they're stupid. chances are it would probably be with a ranked officer, impress him cause he may vouch for you when it comes time to hiring!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Like svtcop said, go for a ride along, ask questions, even if you think they're stupid. chances are it would probably be with a ranked officer, impress him cause he may vouch for you when it comes time to hiring!

Never thought of it like that. Thanks

mustanginky

Established Member
you know working nights and weekends you will have to do the same as a police officer. i work in corrections too and have spent about 5 years applying to PD's. I've actually been in the top 3-5 about 6 times with various agencies and haven't gotten hired. some get hired immediately, others it takes some time. i have a few bad remarks on my background, no arrests, hardly any tickets, but used marijuana frequently when i was 16-17 and believe that has made my "life" harder as far as getting hired is concerned. my own fault, and do not blame anyone but myself. i have a good resume too. worked in a prison for 3 out of my 6 years with the DOC, 2 of those years as Internal Affairs, and 3 of those years as a parole officer and frequently worked with higher ranking narcotics detectives. they have all vouched for me when i have applied. just hasn't happened yet. i do know people who finally got hired after applying 8-10 times. just gotta have "sticktoitiveness"

Spade

Established Member
Like mentioned above show you want the job. There's a few guys around here trying to get hired full-time and they're complaining because no one picked them up. I tell them time and time again to call or stop in at the PD. Something that shows you want it.

As for your past arrest chiefs may look at that as a liability. When I first start looking for a job a chief told.me right out that he couldn't hire me because of my driving record and I had a few speeding citations. Good luck.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Like mentioned above show you want the job. There's a few guys around here trying to get hired full-time and they're complaining because no one picked them up. I tell them time and time again to call or stop in at the PD. Something that shows you want it.

As for your past arrest chiefs may look at that as a liability. When I first start looking for a job a chief told.me right out that he couldn't hire me because of my driving record and I had a few speeding citations. Good luck.

Yup, Sometimes departments look as far back as your juvenile record. And I know sometimes probation officers etc like to sugar coat things, saying don't worry about what you do now, it won't effect you later. It most certainly will.

To get anywhere you pretty much need a spotless record from the time you were born to the time it comes to take the test and interview. Any type of ticket is questionable to departments now or days.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
depending on how recent your violations were will be a factor. always be honest when asked about them. and, at least around this area...if you dont already know someone well in law enforcement, its super hard to get in...departments are flooded with qualified applicants...then, cherry picked for referrals and such.

when i was on the recruitment team...nearly 100% of the time, the candidates we selected were very well known, acquaintances / friends / relatives of the staff.

get to know someone on the inside very well.

Users who are viewing this thread