Established Member
The article:

2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS: Suspension Walkaround

A snapshot:

2011_lacrosse_sus_fr_oa_fr-thumb-717x478-92946.jpg

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Pretty sweet, Im glad someone is finally taking a look at modern suspension and going "WTF who thought of this shit?" the knuckle/spindle doing two jobs (steering and dampening) is a huge drawback.

I just started getting into suspension, prior to just recently aside from shocks and springs I was pretty clueless with what everything did. Now that ill be going through and rebuilding my entire suspension piece by piece with new OEM or poly bushings I want to learn what each part does and why it does it.

Sammyboy

Established Member
It seems GM is taking a more guided approach to engineering. Asking those obvious question and finding solutions, such as this, will hopefully lead them into a direction I can follow.

paintless302

Established Member
from one engineer to another, hats off to the boys at buick for a job well done on something so simple yet so elegant and purposeful.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
honestly, it's sad that it's taken this long. the macpherson strut is only good at one thing and that's being cheap, and it hasn't had a major improvement like since they started using it in 1949. it's one thing for a ford festiva, but you would think that these great sports car designers at porsche and BMW wouldn't settle for such a half assed suspension set up. for as well as they've made it work, it could obviously be made better(buick proving so).

hats off to GM, but this should've happened decades ago.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
alright, i take back my praise, this DID happen a decade ago. both ford and renault applied for patents for this type of suspension set up in 2001, with renault using it in 2006(clio/megane) and ford in 2009(focus RS). props to GM for getting on board a decade later i guess.

renault:
2007-renault-megane-sport-4-1_460x0w.jpg

2007-renault-megane-sport-5_460x0w.jpg

ford:
revoknuckle-suspension-500x467.jpg

suspension.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread