Highest miles on a 99-01 Cobra

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
100,8xx as of this morning...bought it 09/01 w/ 12 miles

How is she running? Any major problems with her?

I'm up to 43000 or so, but I bought it with 17,800 last March.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
thats alot of miles =x i have like 47k bought it 4-3-04 with 42kmiles on it. =] average american drives 12-15kmiles a yr.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cool thread, I'm interested to see what kind of problems these cars have at higher mileage. Mine just turned 30k last night, it had 26,XXX on it when I got it on the 30th of Sept '03. Not to bad I try to not drive it very often. Anyways, Im subscribing. 2881

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
How is she running? Any major problems with her?

I'm up to 43000 or so, but I bought it with 17,800 last March.

i must note that it doesn't have the orginal motor in it. the original motor had a consumption problem from day one, and i spent many days and dollars at the dealership testing the motor and such, only for them to tell me that burning 1.5-2 quarts of oil every 3K miles was normal. so at about 40K miles, the consumption got worse, and i started hearing a "tick" that sounded like it was coming from the driver's side head. this was also about the time i moved to STL, so i took it to a dealership out here. they found low compression on 6&7 and suggested that my shortblock might be on it's way to being severely focked, and suggested tearing it down and seeing what it looked like inside. upon inspection, they found that the rod bearings on 6&7 had failed. in summary, i got a new longblock for 50 bucks on my extended warranty (best 860 dollars i ever spent).

original motor was replaced at 43K, so the new one has ~57K miles on it (mostly interstate)....i change the oil every 5K miles, and plug every 10K miles...at 320+rwhp, i still get 26 mpg on the hwy, it doesn't burn a drop of oil.....it has been immensely better than the original motor ever was....

other than aftermarket parts, the only other things that have had to be replaced are the brake pads and rotors, changed PS fluid, borke a halfshaft when i had the IRS, drivers side tie rod end, passenger side door lock actuator, and i just put the 27th and 28th tires on her yesterday....this has been fairly expensive for me, but only because i have incurred the normal costs at a faster rate than most people....i would NEVER get rid of this car, and before too long it will become a track only car anyway....

good job Ford!!!:thumbsup:

AzDropTop

Established Member
mine is at 51K and I bought her with about 36K last year. I've replaced the clutch due to TOB, the battery, starter, alternator, clutch cancel switch, plugs, rotors/pads and the throttle cable. The electrical parts were replaced because Ford couldn't figure out why I was having an intermittant starting problem. Turned out to be the clutch switch. LOL.

duece

Established Member
24,500 on mine had a pressure plate prob. dealer fixed ok other than that......

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
13,000 miles factory stock. My previous Cobra (1995) I ran up 120,000 miles in 4 years on it, but I have decided to keep my mileage down on the 01 and stretch it out to enjoy for years to come.

Avenging Angel

Established Member
75,000 Miles. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Going to need a new clutch in a few months, but that's a normal wear item.

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
57k and only changed clutch due to TOB also, no problems at all except for the oil consumption at about 3,000 miles or so. Then its usually 1/2 to 1 quart low.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
38k, have 3k on new motor because it had a slight ticking/rattling and svt couldn't figure it out. Motor looked perfect on the inside, just had too much crankshaft end-play. and wheelbearing failure from the knuckle updates and nothing other than that.

Users who are viewing this thread