Higher than Average Oil pressure?

SVTContique

So the other day i noticed my oil pressure at idle was much higher than normal, its sitting around 40-45 psi, driving around it seems normal, settling around 75 psi-100psi at WOT.

What could be causing the strange readings? I havent change anything since bringing out for the summer.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
What viscosity oil are you using? Have you switched from regular to synthetic recently? Do you have a high pressure pump? Has your engine been rebuilt? Is there any reason you may be having bearing clearance issues? I've also heard that a bad battery can cause high oil pressure readings but don't quote me on that one. Has anything been changed in your car recently? Maybe it's cause you're Canadian. Just sayin.

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
Mechanical or electric gauge? 45psi @ idle, with oil temperature up in full operating range, is definitely high. I see 15-18psi (850rpm)once completely warmed up and driven some miles...

SVTContique

My Battery is actually on its way out... i think that might be it. Same oil i have always used as well, stock motor, nothing has changed. Battery is def on its way out though, its the Factory one still...

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My Battery is actually on its way out... i think that might be it. Same oil i have always used as well, stock motor, nothing has changed. Battery is def on its way out though, its the Factory one still...

Let us know :beer: and if that isn't it maybe check the sending unit.

Last edited:

SVTContique

Will do, thanks, i never would have suspected the battery to be the problem, i had an alignment yesterday and the shop needed to jump my battery because the hood light made it die...

I know the sending unit it kind of shitty too, its been ****ing up for a while now but it never read off.

Ill update you guys, i think i am going to go get a new battery today.

SVTContique

I figured out its my gauge/sending unit.

I turned the car off, keyed on and noticed that my oil pressure sits at 17is PSI (about how much it is always higher by) when power is going to the unit.

Shouldnt it be 0PSI with the oil pump off?

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
When my car is off it's at 0 actually farther left than 0. I'd recommend checking all your gauge connections (ground, power etc). I had an auto meter water temp gauge acting up on me once when the ground was not fully connected. When I started the car a few seconds later the gauge shot up to 220*+. I re-did the ground which fixed the problem.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Mechanical or electric gauge? 45psi @ idle, with oil temperature up in full operating range, is definitely high. I see 15-18psi (850rpm)once completely warmed up and driven some miles...

15-18 seems to be low to me. I never see lower than 35 no matter how warm the car is. 80-90 psi when at full throttle, 100+ when cold.

You are on a 2v, still running the 2v oil pump?

mtrsprt

Established Member
15-18 seems to be low to me. I never see lower than 35 no matter how warm the car is. 80-90 psi when at full throttle, 100+ when cold.

You are on a 2v, still running the 2v oil pump?
4V oil pump. @ 2000 RPM cruise 38psi.

6500rpm on the dyno 84psi.

Autometer Ultra-lite mechanical.

@idle, an engine really only needs about 10psi, for under 1000rpm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread