Higher mileage and using oil

ESVEETEE

Established Member
My car is getting up there in the miles (127k) and I've noticed over the course of 2-3000 miles it's using a bit of oil. I've not seen any puddles underneath it, so I'm pretty sure it's actually burning a bit.

I've been using RP 5w30 and RP filter, but is there anything a little more suited to reducing oil consumption that offers the same degree of protection?

I know Mobil 1 makes a high mileage "synthetic" that is supposed to help reduce consumption of oil (which may be snake oil marketing), but I really don't care much for Mobil 1.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My oil burning car burns T6 faster than most of the other 15 oils I've put in it. Mobile 1 high mileage isn't worth buying fyi.

How much oil are you missing after 3,000 miles?

I have had 2 oils that reduced oil consumption to an extent that I consider impressive. G-Oil and Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
While it is true that a thicker oil can often reduce oil burning, IMHO 127,000 miles is by no means what I consider high miles for a modular Ford engine.

I recommend checking your complete PCV system(hard lines, elbows and rubber ends) to verify it's integrity and proper operation, including the actual PCV valve itself.

After that I would run a few cans of a good quality fuel injector through your gas tank.

Coked up piston rings is a very common cause of elevated oil consumption today.

Bargain fuels that do not contain any cleaners are a very common contributor to this issue.

I bought my 04 SVT Focus with 127,000 miles on it. It is going almost 11,000+ miles and still does not need a quart of oil yet on the last oil change.

At least some occasional use of wide open throttle also helps to keep coking from getting too heavy on the rings, and assists during the clean up efforts.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unless your engine is leaking oil due to faulty seals, high mileage lubricants will not help you. Those formulations contain seal swelling conditioners that you do not need.

To reduce oil consumption, using a lubricant in a 30 grade with the lowest possible NOACK Volatility (6% or less) is a great start.

Users who are viewing this thread