High volume oil pump

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I picked up a '93 Cobra 5.0 long block from Ford that I will be putting into my '66. It's got an '89 front clip so I need to use the split oil pan. I'd like to put in a high volume oil pump, but I'm concerned that it might drain down the oil level in the oil pan too much, it pumps out about 25% more volume than a standard pump. I checked the Ford Racing catalog and they don't recommend using one on a stock oil pan. Any input would be appreciated.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Hmm, when I had my engine redone for the 331, I put a high volume oil pump in a stock pan... haven't had any problems in roughly 5 or 6 years.

squeak93

Established Member
A standard volume pump will be plenty. I've heard of folks running more oil in the stock pan with HV pumps to eliminate the dry pan fears.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Thanks Fox. I kinda figured it would be OK, I just like to hear it from the horse's mouth. Ford just "recommends" a bigger oil pan, a CYA thing probably. Also thanks squeak. I guess it's just the Tim Taylor Syndrome (Home Improvement) in me that just wants "more oil!" ;-) I was actually thinking of putting in an extra half quart! Then again, maybe I should just stick with the standard pump. After all, it came with the long block and I'd have to buy the HV pump.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
No problem. I don't do any road racing or anything so i'm also not worried about the oil gathering on one side or another during a hard turn. It just a partial DD/fun weekend car.

vfast

Established Member
thing is with a high volume and high rpm and a stock pan is it can drain the oil in the pan....now a pump with slightly more pressure would be better which is different from a high volume...just use a mech. pressure guage to keep a better eye on things

Users who are viewing this thread