HIgh tq mini starters

Eng90

Established Member
Hi,

Is there any reason to change the oem starter to an upgraded one other than the size and clearance ?

When is an upgraded one is neccessary ?

KushBandit

Established Member
TBH, I haven't heard of anyone ever needing to swap out the OEM starter for a high HP application.

Perhaps one may be needed when running a high compression ratio like 14:1 or higher, though I don't know.

The FRPP mini starters should be lighter than OEM, so it's worth weight savings at the least. Some coyote mustangs have come with them from the factory.

Eng90

Established Member
TBH, I haven't heard of anyone ever needing to swap out the OEM starter for a high HP application.

Perhaps one may be needed when running a high compression ratio like 14:1 or higher, though I don't know.

The FRPP mini starters should be lighter than OEM, so it's worth weight savings at the least. Some coyote mustangs have come with them from the factory.

How to know or check if the starter that i have is the oem or if its the mini starter ??

I have a 2013 boss

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I replaced my oem starter with the FRPP mini starter while installing my kooks long tubes. I accidentally over-tightened the ground wire to the oem starter and broke the lead. Its not really that much smaller than the OEM starter, when looking at them they look to be the same size. however once I installed the new one there was a bit more clearance the between the headers and the starter (the stock one was almost touching). I think the main reason is clearance but it is also recommended for supercharged cars as it makes it easier to start. I noticed with mine it definitely starts up easier with the high torque starter.

Users who are viewing this thread