High Speed Runs

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I had read somewhere that sustained high speed runs going into 5th/6th gear were not recommended on the 03-04 Cobra's. Can't recall if it had to due to potential supercharger issues or gearing/tranny??

If true, wondering if that also applies to our GT500's?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure it does. I blew a head gasket at the Texas Mile quite a while ago, hence the built engine in my signature. If you're going to do sustained high speed runs have more than enough octane in the tank and a way to monitor IAT2 temps.

fullboogie

Established Member
The load on the engine at WOT in 5th or 6th is unreal with a real danger of detonation. Cat is right, good octane, good tune, gauges.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I know the 13/14s do better in 5th gear at high speed runs than the 12s and older, but its still not a good idea, my car in 5th gear is over 170mph so I'm not doing that to often. But if you plan on it i would have either MS100, MS109 or E85 and a trunk mounted ice tank is a good idea.

MG0h3

Established Member
The main issue is heat combined with tight piston to cylinder fitting in the 03/04s. The long duration pull in 5th/6th creates a ton of heat and the pistons can swell and scuff the cylinders.

KENS96M6

Established Member
They also added piston oil jets to cool the underside of the piston on the 13 and 14 gt500.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Wait so if I converted to E85 that would definitely help the situation? Not that I'm doing high speed runs, but just to be on the safe side? 03 BTW
There's no doubt E85 has a lot of octane, but it comes at a cost of a return style fuel system and bigger injectors, significantly reduced mileage and more maintenance. Availability is also a big consideration based on your location. It's not for everyone. Sure it's a solution, but is it a practical solution based on where you live and how you use your car. For me, using race gas is a better solution if I want to go hog wild and/or bump up the bost. The rest of the time it's pump gas and a conservative tune.

LouieMooo

Established Member
There's no doubt E85 has a lot of octane, but it comes at a cost of a return style fuel system and bigger injectors, significantly reduced mileage and more maintenance. Availability is also a big consideration based on your location. It's not for everyone. Sure it's a solution, but is it a practical solution based on where you live and how you use your car. For me, using race gas is a better solution if I want to go hog wild and/or bump up the bost. The rest of the time it's pump gas and a conservative tune.
Its readily available where I live and I don't have to drive the car all the time if I don't want to, so that's why I've been looking into it. Thank you for the reply

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boduke0220

Established Member
E85 is Definitely the way to go. On my Previous tvs coyote I did 156mph in the half mile on 93 octane. with just a switch to E85 I went 165. its good shit.

einehund

Established Member
I have literal hours in 5th gear at 160mph plus (love the autobahn). Never had any issues except for the rear end overheating and belching gear oil out the vent on the axle. I solved that with a KR style axle reservoir.

boduke0220

Established Member
I have literal hours in 5th gear at 160mph plus (love the autobahn). Never had any issues except for the rear end overheating and belching gear oil out the vent on the axle. I solved that with a KR style axle reservoir.

What kind of gas mileage do you get at that speed lol

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its readily available where I live and I don't have to drive the car all the time if I don't want to, so that's why I've been looking into it. Thank you for the reply

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The real magic with Ethanol is its direct ability to cool the air/fuel mixture. It does have a little higher octane than premium, but its the other latent properties of the fuel that allows it to resist detonation and take timing and boost etc better than pump and some race fuels.

Purpose made race fuels are "technically" better as they offer the same detonation resistances as E85 but have more energy per unit. You need roughly 30% more fuel with E85 than pure race fuel/ non-Ethanol blend gasoline. Then again, when race fuel's cost 4x more than E85 per gallon, its VALUE for its performance is what makes it a winner.

Yes, there is no getting around the enormous investment that ethanol takes to run in our GT500s (13-14 GT500s excluded). Yes, it has less fuel mileage than race fuel/pump gas. But in places where its easily available, $2-$3 a gallon is pennies for a fuel that wil let you run big boost and timing with pump availability. I went back and forth on it a lot recently, also trying to find cheaper ways of running it. In the end, the cost of a stand alone fuel system is offset by the overall properties of ethanol and being available at more pumps than race fuel.

Check out The Distillery section here at SVTP for dedicated discussion of Ethanol and other races fuels:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/the-distillery.374/

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
2.3 mpg @175mph. I hit the reset button while on one of the runs!
for_those_10_seconds_or_less.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread