High RPM Vibration

Shawn819

Established Member
I had to take the Cobra in to have the pilot bearing and throw out bearing replaced a few weeks ago. I got the car back and it had a bad exhaust leak, which was finally fixed shortly after. Anyway, I noticed now that when I hit about 3800-4000 RPM, I get a pretty bad vibration through the shifter. It shakes the car pretty good. It almost feels like the back end gets a little loose at full throttle as well. The vibration is only when the clutch is engaged.

The shop that fixed it thinks it'll 'work itself out'. I'm not so sure. As a side note, the wheel bearings are all new, driveshaft is new, differential is in great shape, clutch and flywheel (Spec 2+/Fidanza aluminum) are all around 7000 miles old. The vibration wasn't there before the pilot bearing went out and had to be replaced. Any thoughts? Is the shop right or am I probably looking at a new clutch in order to get rid of it?

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
If it didn't have the vibration before the shop worked on it, and now it does. . . .well, i think maybe the shop may have to repair it. Sorry to hear about this.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
sounds like a no brainer to me, pilot bearing/TOB doesn't require a breakin....... You should'nt be having any issues with it that wasn't there before

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Could be that they didn't mark the driveshaft when they took it out and now you are feeling it

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Could be that they didn't mark the driveshaft when they took it out and now you are feeling it

I agree, could be the driveshaft. I would check to make sure it looks ok and that all the bolts are tight. Only thing that makes me question that is the fact that you said it only happens when the clutch is engaged. Maybe check to make sure crossmember and shifter bolts are tight too.

echo412

Established Member
OP did you figure this out? Mine does exact same thing. It only happends at WOT for me.

Shawn819

Established Member
Haha, yeah. It was a combination of things. After over a year of various issues and an absurd amount of money, this was the final straw. Hope you're able to get yours fixed!

Anabolic

Banned
balanced driveshaft wouldn't have anything to do with RPM just speed, he said he's experiancing an issue with rpm...

if it's higher speed vibration, can be driveshaft then...

well traded tjhe car in that's a choice too! well stay active, post new pics up!

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I had my driveshaft balance checked and the machine said it was perfect. I still have a nasty vib over 80..... I'm still tying to figure it out :(

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
You traded the car!?!?!?!? Wish you would have said something to me Shawn... I may have bought it back from you if the price was right!

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread