High Power Air Rifles

scottminot

Established Member
detail_BoneCollector.jpg
[/IMG]

Picked one of these up last week. It's a Gamo BoneCollector. Anyone else into these things? I bought it because I figured it would be way cheaper to shoot than my real guns but it's frustrating the crap out of me.

I've been shooting it at a 25 yard range all week trying to sight it in. I don't know if this gun is junk or it's the inconsistent tolerances of the pellets. I've tried five different types of pellets and I can't get good groups.

These things are said to be accurate out at least 40 yards. So far I'm not impressed.

txyaloo

Established Member
I don't have any experience with it, but for what those things cost, you could have bought a Ruger 10/22 and shot a real gun. Plus, subsonic .22 ammunition is as quiet as that air rifle. I'd seriously see if you could recoup your money somehow and buy a real gun.

scottminot

Established Member
I have real guns. Much cheaper to plink with this plus I can take care of pests in the back yard without the neighbors getting upset.
Its very quiet as long as I'm not using supersonic pellets.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
sorry dude if you want a quality air rifle, you have to go with beeman, air arms, theoben, rws. between those, i used to have an air arms tx200. its accurate as hell, shit you can get dime sized groups at 50 yards (provided you're using a bench rest). and even hit ballons from 100 yards. in the smallest caliber too .177

it might be the scope, it might be the mount or even the rings. but when i wanted to get into some serious shooting, i made a post at an air rifle forum and everyone laughed at how i wanted to get a gamo (whisper w/gas ram). their typical response was "get an air arms or a beeman" or "if you want a quality air rifle that will always shoot on target you have to spend at least $300". and thats not including the scope. typically the high end guns you also have to purchase a scope and some rings/mount.

the highend air rifles start getting as expensive if not more expensive then real rifles. my only rebuttal to spending that much $600+ is i can get a tin of 500 pellets for like 3-4 bucks AND i can shoot it in my back yard or even inside my house.

awthe8.jpg

5oe0bq.jpg

scottminot

Established Member
sorry dude if you want a quality air rifle, you have to go with beeman, air arms, theoben, rws. between those, i used to have an air arms tx200. its accurate as hell, shit you can get dime sized groups at 50 yards (provided you're using a bench rest). and even hit ballons from 100 yards. in the smallest caliber too .177

it might be the scope, it might be the mount or even the rings. but when i wanted to get into some serious shooting, i made a post at an air rifle forum and everyone laughed at how i wanted to get a gamo (whisper w/gas ram). their typical response was "get an air arms or a beeman" or "if you want a quality air rifle that will always shoot on target you have to spend at least $300". and thats not including the scope. typically the high end guns you also have to purchase a scope and some rings/mount.

the highend air rifles start getting as expensive if not more expensive then real rifles. my only rebuttal to spending that much $600+ is i can get a tin of 500 pellets for like 3-4 bucks AND i can shoot it in my back yard or even inside my house.

awthe8.jpg

5oe0bq.jpg

Nice gun and thanks for the info. I bought the Gamo sort of on impulse without doing any research first. Bad idea.
I must have put 1500 pellets down range this week and I still can't get the thing to give me consistent groups at 25 yards.
What drew me to it was it looked cool and it claimed to shoot at 1250fps with PBA pellets, which I think it might. My best groups have been with heavier and lower velocity pellets but I still can't get anything tighter than 6" groups.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Nice gun and thanks for the info. I bought the Gamo sort of on impulse without doing any research first. Bad idea.
I must have put 1500 pellets down range this week and I still can't get the thing to give me consistent groups at 25 yards.
What drew me to it was it looked cool and it claimed to shoot at 1250fps with PBA pellets, which I think it might. My best groups have been with heavier and lower velocity pellets but I still can't get anything tighter than 6" groups.
damn man 6''? i can keyhole my groups at 20 yards. and yea a couple weeks ago i bought a big 5 beeman rs1 with stock sights (was about $64 on sale reg price was $149.) and i HATED it, i returned it the next day. i then realized i would need so spend at least $300+ to get an air rifle i would appreciate.
im into the looks too so the stock and the bluing have to be immaculate for me to get it.
i loooooooooooove looking at these:
Air Arms UK - Developed by www.itsmyweb.co.za 26/09/2008

the 2 guns on the right side are what ive been eyeing again once i sell my gto. now to decided on which one....

tx200: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ksJdcC0qM"]YouTube- Air Arms TX200 - AGR Episode #20[/nomedia]

prosport: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7YVxEAyMo"]YouTube- Air Arms Pro Sport spring rifle review[/nomedia]

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
lol yea, only problem is since its an under lever its kinda heavy.
they weigh about 9lbs and the prosport is around 8.3-8.5. the price difference between the two is about $100-$150.
here are links i use and i recommend you checking out:

Air guns, BB Guns, Pellet Guns and Air Rifles from Crosman, Gamo, Walther and Beeman - PyramydAir.com <good info and can buy just about every airgun

American Airguns Classified Ads - Classifieds < sale site

Classifieds Airgun(Kitching) < sale site

Straight Shooters Precison Airguns < actual store with info on the guns you'd want to purchase

Pomona Airguns PAG < actual store with info on the guns you'd want to purchase

enjoy!

Got Boost?

Established Member
I've got a Gamo Big Cat. Once its sighted in it will sink 1 inch groups at 10 yards. I've never shot groups out much farther than that, but I can hit cans every shot at 30-40 yards. All it does is sit in the closet now, moved into a small neighborhood shortly after I got it so I havn't shot it much.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
detail_BoneCollector.jpg
[/IMG]

Picked one of these up last week. It's a Gamo BoneCollector. Anyone else into these things? I bought it because I figured it would be way cheaper to shoot than my real guns but it's frustrating the crap out of me.

I've been shooting it at a 25 yard range all week trying to sight it in. I don't know if this gun is junk or it's the inconsistent tolerances of the pellets. I've tried five different types of pellets and I can't get good groups.

These things are said to be accurate out at least 40 yards. So far I'm not impressed.

Try getting some better scope mounts first. I have a very basic Daisy 1000FPS pellet rifle that consistently does 2" groupings at 40 yards (which is more than enough to hit the things in my yard I'm after; armadillos, squirrels, rabbits, etc.).

I had the same problem you are describing and couldn't get a grouping for anything with the rifle as it came from the store but switching to a higher quality set of mounts made all the difference in the world....

Might be a cheap $10 fix to your problem before you go and drop $500+ and junk what you already got...

Users who are viewing this thread