High performance brake fluid input?

Bobrammer

Established Member
I'm changing to Goodrich stainless brake lines. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade brake fluid as well. Any ideas? Many thanks! RGR

coleman

Established Member
Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I've bought in to the Ford brake fluid as well, the syn. stuff has a little higher boiling point for a lot higher price.

I'd go with the Ford stuff, boiling point is 550 degrees, and the stuff costs $3.54/12oz from Ford.

Just change the fluid frequently, I installed Speedbleeders, a one way bleeder, in mine.

Buy small bottles and only open what you need, leave the sealed bottles on the shelf, throw away any half bottles.

(derail coming)

The speedbleeders that were spec'd for mine were SB1010S both F&R. The fronts went in fine, the rears didn't feel as positive, there's been some discussion about a different part number being better for them. I wrapped them with teflon tape and spent the weekend at VIR, they were fine.

I'm following another brake thread now, I'd like to upgrade rotors, maybe calipers soon as Summit Point is coming up.

DOT 4 is supposed to have a higher boiling point, and DOT 5 is something else entirely. (Here's something I saw on converting to DOT 5 http://www.type2.com/library/brakes/dot5.htm)

I've also heard (but can't and hopefully won't) be able to verify that getting air into an ABS system is a pain to fix.

<<If you've installed one way bleeders>>

The Ford BF bottles neck balances niceley in the master cylinders resevoir so that you don't have to fill the thing up constantly while flushing. While pushing on the brakes (with the speedbleeder open) just listen for the bubbles entering the inverted bottle, when they stop, so should you. Replace. Start away from the MC with the RR; LR, RF, and LF last.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
the ford high performance brake fluid is fine.

if you are getting fluid fade with your cooling ducts hooked up and the correct pad compound, then and only then would i bother upgrading to castrol srf or motul 600 or the aforementioned ate.

:thumbsup:

Most people use the Ford HP stuff.

j card

Established Member
Ford HP fluid here - I was using the brakes hard enough to destroy a set of Porterfield pads in one day - the fluid was fine. If you feel like spending, Castrol SRF is about the best thing going, but you don't need it, and there is no reason to spend the $80 per quart that it sells for - at least not on this car.

sonic77

Established Member
I had some problems with boiling the ford hp fluid so I switched to ate superblue/typ 200 and I've had no problems since. Also added front brake ducts which I think helped as well.

Users who are viewing this thread