High boost TVS guys in here please

cj428mach

Established Member
I'll be going back to the track on Oct 14th, I will try to get better data, and I was also thinking of trying out cj428's 2.8" with my 4" lower.

Better get it this weekend then so we can find out what belt you need and see if I have it.

Soap

Established Member
OK I have a theory....

I was checking both IAT1 and IAT2 sensors tonight to make sure they were functioning correctly. When I removed the IAT2 sensor I checked the depth of the bore that the sensor sits in on the back plate of the TVS and noticed it is rather deep. So I got out my gauges and measured the IAT2 sensor and it is a hair over 1" from mounting surface to bottom tip. So I measured the bore and it is also 1"..........therefore the sensor is just sitting in a metal bucket with radiant heat all around it.

I remember on my Eaton the sensor protruded from the bottom plate so the air could "wash" across the sensor. In the TVS that is not happening at all. So I think the sensor is always falsely reading high. I'm not sure how the sensor sits on Whipple/KB cars but I would imagine it is similar to the OEM Eaton. See attached pics for reference (sorry for poor lighting, it was a tough spot to take pics).

1.jpg
2.jpg

--Joe

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Wow very interesting find! I never even looked at that. I think the whipple does poke all the way through like the eaton. Someone has to have a pic!

94slowbra1

Established Member
Good find! I'm almost certain when I pulled the whipple the sensor was sticking out well past the plate.
I wonder if there is any way to remedy this?
This would also explain why people aren't seeing the same results with the i/c mods like Malcolm was saying

Soap

Established Member
Anyone have a picture of the IAT2 sensor on their TVS from the bottom? Like during an install?

--Joe

cj428mach

Established Member
Since you're working with Malcolm you might ask him last I knew his car was still apart so the tvs is probably on his bench.
Anyone have a picture of the IAT2 sensor on their TVS from the bottom? Like during an install?

--Joe

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
So, basically the thought process is that the IAT2 readings from TVS-equipped cars might be inaccurately high, causing power loss? Interesting.. and subscribing.

Soap

Established Member
So, basically the thought process is that the IAT2 readings from TVS-equipped cars might be inaccurately high, causing power loss? Interesting.. and subscribing.

Correct......to a point. Cars won't experience a power loss unless they are making repeated pulls and their IAT2's exceed the temps at which their tune pulls timing. Most cars will start pulling timing in the 140-150 range. So to make one pass or pull and get to 140 +/- there is no power gain. However I still feel the readings are inaccurate, even if "only" at 140.

Stay tuned, hopefully I will have a definitive answer here in a few days.

--Joe

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Or op's intercooler mods aren't working as advertised......many tvs owners have posted IAT2s that seem more than reasonable for the conditions. It might be significant factor or maybe not.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Very interesting. Definitely doesn't seem to be sticking out as far as the whipple and eaton units.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

94slowbra1

Established Member
I know Vmp staff is active on this board, wonder if they will chime in with some insight.
Very interesting find. Even if the blower is more efficient but the computer doesn't see it due to sensor placement, the gains may not be there due to bad readings.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I noticed the other day when it was 60* out my iat2 was much more reasonable, blast in top of 2nd and most of third only netted me 120* iat2 and within a minute it had fallen back to 110*.

Depending on your tuner I would think the ethanol guys wouldn’t have to worry much about timing retard due to high iat2, hell I have mine set to not pull timing until 200*. At the track though I notice a big difference when the car has cooled down

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I noticed the other day when it was 60* out my iat2 was much more reasonable, blast in top of 2nd and most of third only netted me 120* iat2 and within a minute it had fallen back to 110*.

Depending on your tuner I would think the ethanol guys wouldn’t have to worry much about timing retard due to high iat2, hell I have mine set to not pull timing until 200*. At the track though I notice a big difference when the car has cooled down

So even though you don't have timing pulling until 200 degrees you still see a performance difference in your IAT2 numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread