High boost: DOHC or pushrods?

95sn95

Blue Devil!
Established Member
I wanna figure out the cheapest engine to build for high boost (600+rwhp). I always hear the mod motors cost more to work with, but it seems that you only need forged internals and maybe cams, and you're good to go, while with the 302 you need a race block, forged internals, heads, cam, intake.

Whattaya think? I'm trying to put together my turbo plans. :)

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I've always heard that the stock block and crank in the mod cars are good for about 1000hp...

So, I know the route I'd be persuing..

pottsy

Established Member
Hang some serious pistons/rods in the factory block and you could push 800+ to the ground without a problem so long as the fuel and tune is adequate, of course. 600 rwhp could be hit without touching the heads, and maybe the cams as well. The stock 96-98 block and crank with proper prep have been pushed past 1500 horsepower....

4V all the way.

SVTclutch

Established Member
pottsy said:
Hang some serious pistons/rods in the factory block and you could push 800+ to the ground without a problem so long as the fuel and tune is adequate, of course. 600 rwhp could be hit without touching the heads, and maybe the cams as well. The stock 96-98 block and crank with proper prep have been pushed past 1500 horsepower....

4V all the way.

Wow

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Pottsy is right. The Teksid block in the 96-98's is very strong and capable of big power just as it sits. The crank is a forged piece that is also strong. It was built to insure it wouldn't come apart at 7000 rpm (that's why the auto mach 1's only rev to like 6000 rpm, they have a cast crank). Get a set of forged rods and pistons and you're good for some serious power.

svtguy22

Established Member
yep, our company car, a 98 cobra, has 623 to the ground with stock cams. well everything else is upgraded....

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
MidNight Snake said:
Sorry guys cheapest engine for 600 hp is far and away going to be a windsor.

I agree. You could hit 600 n/a on a 351W, and thats without stroking it. It would be a torque monster too.

What is "cheap"?

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
You'de be hard pressed to find an H/C/I combo that flows better than a stock 4V right out of the box. So you know my vote, billet rods, CP/Mahle forged pistons, billet oil-pump gears, fuel system, and a lotta boost. Just look at the Procharged 97 Cobra House of Boost has...800+ rwhp with pretty much untouched heads/intake.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
MidNight Snake said:
Sorry guys cheapest engine for 600 hp is far and away going to be a windsor.

He asked about the 302 and the 4V.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
the 4V are more condusive to boost, he asked for boost not N/A. B heads are already for boost, you could through on a blower with supporting bolt-ons and be pretty close to 500rwhp, without even touching the heads. although a turboed 347 with Victor Jr. heads would be f*ckin awesome.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Regardless you are going to have build up the bottom end of either engine. Now which is going to be cheaper a forged 4V setup or forged setup for an engine thats been around for 40 years. Even the supercharger kits are cheaper.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
best bang for the buck is a windsor, no doubt about that. My engine builder's fairlane makes 500ft/lbs of torque at 2800rpms ;) and that's all motor.

It gets real nasty on nitrous.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
MidNight Snake said:
Regardless you are going to have build up the bottom end of either engine. Now which is going to be cheaper a forged 4V setup or forged setup for an engine thats been around for 40 years. Even the supercharger kits are cheaper.

For cheapest power period you are right go with a 351 or stroke a 302. I have a 351W in my 70 and am in the process of building an engine pretty cheap thats going to make some good power.

However to maximize a forced induction setup on a windsor based engine the heads intake and cam will have to be modified or changed. This on top of having to forge the internals and buy a blower make the pushrod engine actually slightly more expensive to build where you only have to buy rods pistons and a blower on a 32V. Its only slightly more expensive because as said before parts are just more expensive for a 4.6. Still you are buying alot less parts with the 4.6. The windsor will make more power with an optimized blown setup, but if you just want to slap on a blower and make some boost I say 4.6.

Paul

95sn95

Blue Devil!
Established Member
Doug said:
best bang for the buck is a windsor, no doubt about that. My engine builder's fairlane makes 500ft/lbs of torque at 2800rpms ;) and that's all motor.

It gets real nasty on nitrous.

It's nice and cheap until you need a Dart block...

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
he's using a plain ole 351 stroked to a 393...his fairlane is his street car ;)

His race car 351 based 408 runs 5s in the 1/8th mile on nitrous.

both are just plain old 351s....nothing special about them.

Users who are viewing this thread