High ait2's, need intercooler overhaul

94slowbra1

Established Member
So I'm seeing some very high intake air temps, mid 170s at the top of 4th. Now this is the highest they have ever been and the night I was at the track was crazy hot, around 90 and humid. But I am signed up for some half mile events and need to get this sorted out before then or I'll probably be pushing it back on the trailer.
My set up run down is: factory long block, vmp gen 2 making 21-22lbs, e85, and a bunch of bolt ons.
So now I'm looking to redo the whole intercooling system. My thoughts are: j2fab flow mod, 7gal trunk mount tank, stewart emp pump, afco gt500 heat exchanger (possibly with fans) all with 1" lines. Is there anything I'm missing? Any different parts you would use, and why?
My car is strictly for pleasure and the only racing I'll be doing is some hwy pulls and the 1/2 miles events.
Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions.
Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
Just fyi j2fab is extremely slow modding you intercooler, so be prepared. He had mine for almost a month and I've heard of him taking almost 3 month to bore out 2 holes in the cooler.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Just fyi j2fab is extremely slow modding you intercooler, so be prepared. He had mine for almost a month and I've heard of him taking almost 3 month to bore out 2 holes in the cooler.
When I spoke to him last he was about 2 weeks out. I'll give him a call again to see where he is at. Would love to have this all said and done in a month

Soap

Established Member
Unless you have a modded sensor on the TVS those IAT2 readings are falsely high and you are mostly seeing the temp of the blower case.

Not saying you shouldn't do all the other stuff you have planned but the best intercooler system in the world isn't going to fix the problem.

--Joe

94slowbra1

Established Member
when i pull the blower i am going to get the case milled so the sensor sits where its supposed to. but in the end im still overworking the system. id like to just do it once and do it right

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
killer chiller and don't look back.. keep everything else stock included the front mount I/c

cj428mach

Established Member
When I spoke to him last he was about 2 weeks out. I'll give him a call again to see where he is at. Would love to have this all said and done in a month

I would take that with a grain of salt, he's known to say things are going to ship on this date, has shipped, etc...its not always true. Mine shipped 2 weeks after it was supposed to ship.

My buddy bought one of his alternators and had to really get on him for him to finally get it shipped, so far all the parts look of great quality and everyone does get their parts, just be warned it can take a while. I would think about having a spare intercooler modded in case he doesn't come through for you, that you still have something that can run.

94slowbra1

Established Member
i have dealt with him in the past, i bought one of his alternators. i also know how performance shops go as far as time and shipping. i appreciate your feedback
i want good quality parts that work and right now his seems to be the best set up

94slowbra1

Established Member
killer chiller and don't look back.. keep everything else stock included the front mount I/c
Not sure the KC will be much help at the top of 5th in the 1/2 mile? I've read that the temps creep up pretty high at the end of the 1/4. Plus it doesn't address the flow issues with the OEM set up

badmpg03

Established Member
Not sure the KC will be much help at the top of 5th in the 1/2 mile? I've read that the temps creep up pretty high at the end of the 1/4. Plus it doesn't address the flow issues with the OEM set up

Mines been hit or miss. I think it does make a difference when your car is on and you are sitting at the track, idling while inline before burn out box, etc. I feel like it keeps my IAT low enough to not pull timing on a hot day/night.
A/c and the KC kit has been difficult to tune with the 2.9 and idling and my cams.

I was going to start a new thread asking about meth injection. I am back looking at that now. I know it is not ideal on a positive displacement car but many seem to run it with good results despite being before the blower.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I looked at the lfp cooler. A couple of things deterred me from it:
I couldn't find anybody that was actually running it.
Some aftermarket coolers actually make things run hotter, this is the case in the lightning world
And lastly, lfp doesn't have the greatest rep as far a quality goes.

I have no first hand experience with it so I cant give an opinion. Maybe someone who has it will chime in

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

94slowbra1

Established Member
i have read your site a few times. i think you said it dropped your temps about 10 degrees or so right? while every little bit helps 10 degrees isnt going to get me where i want to be. now if i were in need of a new cooler due to damage or some other reason id probably pick one up over a stocker.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
With its location, there is just only so much you can do. The heat is what it is, no way around it. At least the Griffin inter cooler is an option with some subtle improvements that make it a good option when a new one is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread