Hiding license plates

95nray

Established Member
I have seen those license plates that "hide" (for lack of a better word) the plate under the car, and it can be rotated up to show the plate, are these legal? Do you have to drive with the plate showing, or can I have it rotated down?

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
No, they are not legal.

There is a reason that the plates are issued to you car and it's not only for when the car is stopped or moving. Im assuming you mean just the front plate, so if the state requires it to be displayed..... it needs to be displayed. At a minimum you would be looking at improper display of plates if it was in hidden.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have seen those license plates that "hide" (for lack of a better word) the plate under the car, and it can be rotated up to show the plate, are these legal? Do you have to drive with the plate showing, or can I have it rotated down?

No, they are not legal.

There is a reason that the plates are issued to you car and it's not only for when the car is stopped or moving. Im assuming you mean just the front plate, so if the state requires it to be displayed..... it needs to be displayed. At a minimum you would be looking at improper display of plates if it was in hidden.

If your state requires you to display a front license plate, then these will work. HOWEVER, be aware that the metal springs will rust and over time it will end up useless junk. You're better off buying one of the removable license plate brackets.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
A cop friend of mine has one on his Cobra--as long it is out when driving it is legal, he hides it at shows.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Or buy stainless steel springs.

Well, yes. But, and I may be wrong, they're not made with SS springs, and changing the spring looks to be a pain in the ass. For the price difference, I went with the removable style. Plus, I didn't have to drill any holes in my car to mount the removable style bracket.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
i dont have one on mine, but i've been pulled over 3 times for it, once in 2006 when i first got my license, and a few years ago, and just the other day. i plan on getting a bracket for it, but it also gets me out of speeding tickets imo. i say that because i feel a cop would rather give me a no plate ticket and a warning for speeding, rather than just a warning for speeding. sounds dumb but thanks to a clean record, i always get just a warning for no plate, when initially i was pulled over for speeding

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Sounds like a guy who doesn't want to press his luck. I don't blame you.

i dont have one on mine, but i've been pulled over 3 times for it, once in 2006 when i first got my license, and a few years ago, and just the other day. i plan on getting a bracket for it, but it also gets me out of speeding tickets imo. i say that because i feel a cop would rather give me a no plate ticket and a warning for speeding, rather than just a warning for speeding. sounds dumb but thanks to a clean record, i always get just a warning for no plate, when initially i was pulled over for speeding

Last edited:

WOT 88

Established Member
What is this front license plate everyone is talking about...
017.gif
:burnout:

20redfire03

Established Member
I have the removeable bracket from the member on this site and its great. Since I washed my car this weekend my plate is currently in the trunk and when I walk out and see my car it looks so much better with no plate. VA needs to get rid of the front plate requirement.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I dont display the front plate on any of my cars here in CO, its against the law but I have only been pulled for it once and its only like a $25 ticket, I would rather pay the ticket than drill holes in my bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread