HID systems for our Cobras?

brainpa

Established Member
Hey, I hope this is the right forum...[Moderators, if it's not, please re-locate]

I am looking hard for an HID system for the Cobra - first of all, has anyone done this? Are the "projector" lenses set-ups similar to HID, and are they any good??

Secondly, where can I find them?

I appreciate the help...I turned in a leased 04 TL for this car, and let me tell you the headlights (HID) were AWESOME...(So too was the entire package).,

Thanks,

John

SVTgriff

www.SONICspeeds.net
Established Member
Look on ebay for

Hella HID 12000k conversion for 9007.......(i think 9007 is right for the terminator headlights)

Don't have these yet, heard they were great...

If I am wrong, please someone let me know because I plan on doing this mod too.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Hey guys...remember that you will loose your high beam function if you convert to an HID like mentione above.

Plus, they're illegal. I live too close to New Jersey to do this mod.

nu snake

Established Member
I bought a kit, have the wiring done (it wasn't really plug and play but not too bad). I'm wondering where others have installed the ballasts. Especially on the driver's side there just isn't much room. Any ideas are welcome. I'll let you know after the install whether it is really worth the time and expense. So far it has spent a lot of time in the closet while I figure out where to put the extra hardware that goes along with the HID.

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Ok i have fogs and headlights i have 8000k in both they are really bright. Yes they are illegal but nothing has come from that. And trust me i have been behind cops and what not. You lose your brights but it doesnt matter cause they are soooo bright. You start at 4300k Yellow (Which is the brightest) As you go up you get less bright but they are all still bright as hell. Then you go to 6000k White, then 8000k Blue, then 10000 Purple, 12000 REALLY purple. And some places have like 5200k and what not but those are the most commen. All the ones i have seen are plug and play. Mine was its really easy and they look great. Need more info pm me
Cory

nu snake said:
I bought a kit, have the wiring done (it wasn't really plug and play but not too bad). I'm wondering where others have installed the ballasts. Especially on the driver's side there just isn't much room. Any ideas are welcome. I'll let you know after the install whether it is really worth the time and expense. So far it has spent a lot of time in the closet while I figure out where to put the extra hardware that goes along with the HID.

HERE
Install06.jpg

Install05.jpg

Decker

Established Member
Don't waste your money on the ricer look, pick up a good (Hella, Philips) ~4300K kit. They throw the most lumens and don't cause eye strain over long drives.

blownCOB

Established Member
i did an hid kit on my 01 cobra, and it looked awsome!! i did the 10,000k, it was more purplish then anything, but it was a good mix with bright white. looked badass and you could see for days! i know on coming traffic hated me,. but it was so worth it, i could be spotted blocks away. i found some guy about 20 minutes from me who was selling kits on ebay for around 300 or so. i went and picked it up and installed it in like 20 minutes, was simple. do it!

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
Decker said:
Don't waste your money on the ricer look, pick up a good (Hella, Philips) ~4300K kit. They throw the most lumens and don't cause eye strain over long drives.

bs 4300 i think looks like ass. Its all yellow.

optx002

Established Member
yellow is actually 3000k. 4300 is the whitest you can get. anything higher and it starts to look blue to purple. this is a fact.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Most cars that come equiped with hids from tge factory are 4300. Its not yellow at all. I think 6000 is the best compromise for performance and looks.

OmahaStang

Established Member
are there side effects to the factory system/wiring when installing these? Such as fuses and or the stock wires?? (just curious)

krisco243

Established Member
i have so far used my stock wireing with my retrofit, but it is highy recomended that use use a harness w/relays and a fuse.
hidplanet.com has lots of usefull info, and people that will make a harness for you, or you can make your own. be prepaired to see a lot of hid "kit" bashing though. :-D

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
you can get from ford new plugs that are plastic and strong then the stock ones. I had 10 amp fuse and i upgraded to a 20 or 25 i forget. It should say in the dir of the hids

Blaine

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:

Had my kit for over 2 years with not problems.

The increase in lighting far worth the price. I have the 6000K and mine is pure white with a slight hint of blue.

There is plenty of room to mount the ballast for the hid kit under the car. There is enough room to mount 8 of them.

You don't have brights though, but you won't need them. The HID kit is 2X brighter than your brights anyway. So proper aiming of the beams is the key to not getting tickets.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Blaine said:
Had my kit for over 2 years with not problems.

The increase in lighting far worth the price. I have the 6000K and mine is pure white with a slight hint of blue.

There is plenty of room to mount the ballast for the hid kit under the car. There is enough room to mount 8 of them.

You don't have brights though, but you won't need them. The HID kit is 2X brighter than your brights anyway. So proper aiming of the beams is the key to not getting tickets.

What about having to flash someone in an emergency situation?
:shrug:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
InArmyWPride said:
bs 4300 i think looks like ass. Its all yellow.

you dont know what you are talking about nor do you have a clue what 4300K actually looks like.

I would recommend only 4300K bulbs but definitely nothing higher the 6000K. No OEM manufacturer makes bulbs over 6000K. Anything advertised higher then that is painted. All colored bulbs will do is cause eye strain.

HID conversion kits should only be installed in projector housings. Regular reflector based headlamps do not have the beam control to deal witht he extra light HID produces and you get tons of glare.

A HID kit in these headlights should work very well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...ewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8038920939QQrdZ1

krisco243

Established Member
JSpeed said:
you dont know what you are talking about nor do you have a clue what 4300K actually looks like.

I would recommend only 4300K bulbs but definitely nothing higher the 6000K. No OEM manufacturer makes bulbs over 6000K. Anything advertised higher then that is painted. All colored bulbs will do is cause eye strain.

HID conversion kits should only be installed in projector housings. Regular reflector based headlamps do not have the beam control to deal witht he extra light HID produces and you get tons of glare.

A HID kit in these headlights should work very well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...ewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8038920939QQrdZ1
actully a hid kit wont fit in those headlights, bulbs to long. and those are still halogen designed projectors not ones designed for hid use. the proper way to do it is to retro your existing headlight housings with oe hid projectors. :)

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
i got a 10k kit off ebay 248 shipped. looks good and i can actually see the road. i havent been pulled over once for them. oh yeah and it took all of two minutes to install...no splicing. the kit is from pro max, all the same features as the hella kit.

heres some pics
2227661_36_full.jpg

2227661_35_full.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread