HID retrofit

venomous99

Established Member
Then how did you get it in there? Cut up the front?!

i cut the rear housing large enough to slip from the back. this is non ideal cuz u basically lose adjustability. if u look at the other pic from andrew you can see how the projector peaks out the back but he has mounting bolts to adjust front to bank
some have even drilled out the bottom to have rotational adjustment(JNC method) but given how tiny our housings are, it'll be a tight fit to do this.

venomous99

Established Member
so been working on this project here and there and i can say right about now that i wont be finishing this thing as fast as id like.

here is the latest.
thankfully body work isnt my trait as just working on this darn housing is enough to say ill never want to mess with bondo and fiberglass again. this painstaking task of sanding, applying and sanding again simply sucks ass. im sure someone with body experience can knock this work out a lot faster than i can with the proper tools and tricks of the trade. this is where it sits now before another sanding and ill probably have to skim over the imperfections again and sand one last time.
i can say the f with it and just paint as this will be covered by the trim but who wants to half ass at this point
DSCN2336.JPG

i started sanding the inside housing as ill be reshooting with chrome paint to cover some of the peeling imperfections that resulted from masking, thinking i was doing myself a favor. notice some of the chips on the edges that was a result of prying after the bake to remove the lens. yes, that will require some patch work too
DSCN2337.JPG'

now with the painted/reformed bezel in place for a feeling of some sort of accomplishment. lol
DSCN2338.JPG

stay tuned..thats all folks.

on a side note, i got more info from matt @ theretrofitsource.com about the differences between the morimoto projector and the fx-r. basically the fx-r projector output is a lot wider than the morimoto but that said, even the morimoto looks pretty impressive. in the future, they will be coming out with a morimoto that outputs similar to the fx-r.
given the amount of work it takes to retro the fx-r, i would be more than happy to sacrifice some lateral light spread in favor of an easier retro.

let the pics speak for themselves.
morimoto minis
Morimoto%20Mini%20H1%20Bi-xenon%20output%202.JPG

fx-r
LHD.JPG

Andrew97Cobra

Established Member
i started sanding the inside housing as ill be reshooting with chrome paint to cover some of the peeling imperfections that resulted from masking, thinking i was doing myself a favor. notice some of the chips on the edges that was a result of prying after the bake to remove the lens. yes, that will require some patch work too
DSCN2337.JPG'

now with the painted/reformed bezel in place for a feeling of some sort of accomplishment. lol
DSCN2338.JPG

What's the brand of chrome paint that you're using?

venomous99

Established Member
What's the brand of chrome paint that you're using?

i forget the name but its the only chrome paint they sell at our local autoparts store, kragen. i had used a metallic one i got from home depot but for some reason no matter how i sprayed it, it kept forming spots. the chrome spray i got from kragen goes on pretty uniform. its a good compromise for chrome paint but wont be as good as the plated type.
i ended up redoing the bezel last night to extend towards the edges so its more flush. more fiberglass sucks. LOL ill be reshooting later today after more sanding.

riored94cobra

Established Member
i can't wait to try this myself. did matt say when exactly the wider morimotos will be coming out? i think that will be the best bet for myself.

venomous99

Established Member
i can't wait to try this myself. did matt say when exactly the wider morimotos will be coming out? i think that will be the best bet for myself.
not sure but it did sound like its sooner than later. i tell u if i the projector would slip from the front it wouldve saved me a ton of headache cuz ive spent a good part of this project messing around w/ bondo and fiberglass to make up for the amount of material i cut out.

Holy crap the fx-r puts out tons of light! Nice!
yes...and this is the proper way of doing an HID. using an HID in our halogen housing is like throwing on a set of sumitomos on your HRE wheels.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Kingcato your lights are great, man! Why didn't you just leave the reflecting part of the high beam unpainted? That way you would still have the high beam, would you not? Think it would look out of place?

Edit: I've had your light thread bookmarked since you made it, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread