HID problem! Anyone have this too?

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
I'm having problems with my headlight kit from DDM. I installed the drivers side first, reconnected the battery and turned the lights on to test it and all it does is flicker like a strobe light?? The stock bulb in the passenger side still lit up fine. Double checked all connections and even tried another ballast/bulb and it still flickers. So, I decided to hook up the passenger side and test both at once and boom, nothing, no headlights at all? I've triple checked all connections to make sure they are correct and still can't get them to work with both hooked up or quit flickering like a strobe light with only one side hooked up. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

jrandy

Established Member
I know this might sound really stupid but when you tried it was the car on? The HIDs take a decent amount of power. When we installed my friends, same thing. We thought the we did something wrong. Turned out since we kept turning the lights on and off with the car off, it just didn't have enought juice to work.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Interesting, i was going to order a set in a few days. I put a set of oracles in a buds SS silverado and his works when the trucks off.:shrug: Try calling ddm.

jrandy

Established Member
Interesting, i was going to order a set in a few days. I put a set of oracles in a buds SS silverado and his works when the trucks off.:shrug: Try calling ddm.

they should not have a problem running with the vehicle off. I was just saying that when we did his install (fogs and headlights), he kept turning them on and off with the car off to see if when he installed them if they worked. When he got to the last headlight, none would turn on. That is why i said it was a stupid thought, but could have been the problem.

I can turn all 4 of my hids on for a bit with the car off, but it does drain my battery really fast. It might also be because i am still on the factory battery. :shrug:

JymBart

Established Member
Sounds like a bad ballast. Be careful the OEM wiring harness doesn't start to melt and burn.

I agree, .. Hid Guy is the best, .. quality product, Oscar's a stand up guy, ...... a U.S.A. phone number that actually gets answered. I've read too many threads about problems with other Hid Kits.

JymBart

HID_Guy

Established Member
I'm having problems with my headlight kit from DDM. I installed the drivers side first, reconnected the battery and turned the lights on to test it and all it does is flicker like a strobe light?? The stock bulb in the passenger side still lit up fine. Double checked all connections and even tried another ballast/bulb and it still flickers. So, I decided to hook up the passenger side and test both at once and boom, nothing, no headlights at all? I've triple checked all connections to make sure they are correct and still can't get them to work with both hooked up or quit flickering like a strobe light with only one side hooked up. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

First make sure the car is on, but if you keep having that issue it's either a bad ballast or bulb; if you get both working with the car on your good, but if not then it's either bad parts or you need some extra juice to the kit which can be solved with a relay harness, but only if it's a single beam kit.

I am also assuming the kit for this install is the single beam kit, but even then you should not have any issues really. If it's the Hi and Lo kit, then something major is wrong.

If you need some help you can email us at [email protected], always glad to help even if you didn't buy from us.

Last edited:

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
First make sure the car is on, but if you keep having that issue it's either a bad ballast or bulb; if you get both working with the car on your good, but if not then it's either bad parts or you need some extra juice to the kit which can be solved with a relay harness, but only if it's a single beam kit.

I am also assuming the kit for this install is the single beam kit, but even then you should not have any issues really. If it's the Hi and Lo kit, then something major is wrong.

If you need some help you can email us at [email protected], always glad to help even if you didn't buy from us.

Thanks a lot man I'll try it, yes these are the single beams. I would have ordered these from you in the first place but they were a Christmas gift so I had no control haha. That is awesome customer service on your part. Next time I will definetely go with your HID's.

Last edited:

HID_Guy

Established Member
Thanks a lot man I'll try it, yes these are the single beams. I would have ordered these from you in the first place but they were a Christmas gift so I had no control haha. That is awesome customer service on your part. Next time I will definetely go with your HID's.

No problem, I'm just always glad to help either way since our knowledge on HID's is extensive.

pony23

Established Member
Bought my kit from hidguy. No problems. Hidguy ftw.

Hope you get the kit fixed!!!

purdueranger

Established Member
I just installed my HID kit from HIDGUY.net and one of the ballasts out of the box is bad. I could plug it into any light and it won't work. 3/4 ballasts work. 1 bad one, I can only hope they fix it for free. :)

JymBart

Established Member
I just installed my HID kit from HIDGUY.net and one of the ballasts out of the box is bad. I could plug it into any light and it won't work. 3/4 ballasts work. 1 bad one, I can only hope they fix it for free. :)

Ahhhhh did you even try calling Oscar? He stands behind what he sells.

JymBart

purdueranger

Established Member
Ahhhhh did you even try calling Oscar? He stands behind what he sells.

JymBart

I sent him an email. I my phone was dead when I posted this up. I will give it one more shot on Saturday to try any suggestions that Oscar might come up with.

HID_Guy

Established Member
I sent him an email. I my phone was dead when I posted this up. I will give it one more shot on Saturday to try any suggestions that Oscar might come up with.

Honestly we test every ballast and bulb before it ships, so give it another try, maybe on another side or with the car on, just to make sure it is bad; but if it is, your more than taken care of by how we handle our warranty. If the ballast shows to be bad make sure and send us an email to let us know.

purdueranger

Established Member
Honestly we test every ballast and bulb before it ships, so give it another try, maybe on another side or with the car on, just to make sure it is bad; but if it is, your more than taken care of by how we handle our warranty. If the ballast shows to be bad make sure and send us an email to let us know.

I got it working now. Found out that when it was wired up, both actually are wired backwards on the ballast side that plugs into the factory fog light connection. I took the extension harness that came with it and flipped those around and it works now.

Users who are viewing this thread