HID or LED?????

03yellowSVT

2 brite!
Established Member
Who out there is running LED'S?
If yes, do you like them better then HID'S? I was trying to research on here but didn't find much. Iam also looking for a some new lights.. anyone know of a good vendor that has deals on kits and that is good. Ian running some old HIDguy HID'S that I got a while back.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think the conclusion has been that if you are sticking with your stock housing - then the LED bulb tend to put out a better light pattern than HID.

Check out this thread on LED Headlights (most of the fun starts in post # 43):
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...on-about-LED-headlights-terminator&highlight=

You would need to retrofit some projectors if you intend to switch to HID - mainly to ensure you don't scatter light all over the place. This process is way more involved - and it changes the look of the headlights. There are several images of retrofit headlights in the link above.

03snkvert

Established Member
I ordered these just over a week ago, Waiting on them to come in. They are coming direct from China, and for the Price I can wait the extra time.

Fog Lights:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...onversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-White/2046691146.html

Headlights:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...onversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-White/2046699822.html

I got the Bulb information from one of the other threads, and finally decided to pull the trigger and order them. A guy I work with orders from the Aliexpress all the time and has not had any issues.

Last edited:
I ordered these just over a week ago, Waiting on them to come in. They are coming direct from China, and for the Price I can wait the extra time.

Fog Lights:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...onversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-White/2046691146.html

Headlights:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...onversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-White/2046699822.html

I got the Bulb information from one of the other threads, and finally decided to pull the trigger and order them. A guy I work with orders from the Aliexpress all the time and has not had any issues.

Thanks for putting that up. If its not too much trouble, please put up some pics with the LEDs in the stock housing.

I've never run an LED in the headlight housings but have run (3) different HIDs in there from different vendors. And I'm not justifying a retrofit of projectors. I've seen those in person and they are just awful looking during the daytime. Classic ghetto work.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I got the ddm kit in my car, they are ok so far. I have them adjusted up as far as the housing will let them go and run them on brights all the time. But my car runs on a stupid rake, so i think that effects the adjustment on them.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
The led pictures in the link above do look better than PnP HIDs. Neither of them compare to a retrofitted headlight though.

Retrofit your headlights and you will be glad you did. I retrofitted mine with Mini H1s from TRS and output is really impressive. If you're comfortable with taking your headlights apart and making the necessary modifications to fit the projector, its really not that expensive of a modification.

I dont have any pictures of output besides this cutoff line. I took the picture because of the colorful cutoff but you can still see that its pretty sharp for being 25 or so feet away.

D52EB571-3C69-4ADA-94B5-5704627B1803_zpszq7xrbii.jpg

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
wow I always thought hids were brighter this is a real eye opener, good posts I read through most of them and yeah I definitely want to get some

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
It is very easy to swap out the bulbs for LEDs. The only thing that bothers me in the model linked above is that you add an exposed fan (moving part) into the engine bay. That for some reason bothers me. The latest generation of LED bulbs do away with this requirement by using a flexible wire mesh heat sink instead - and I like that solution a lot more. It is easy to swap these guys out - and get some bright efficient headlights at the same time.

But to be honest - I much prefer the light that comes out from the projectors. I have really grown to like the cutoff line when driving at night. I've done a few of them and I honestly like the look of projectors more than the stock look both during the day and at night (even more so with demon eyes). I know it is a matter of opinion - but I think they look fantastic.

03yellowSVT

2 brite!
Established Member

Fog Lights:

Headlights:

When you get them post a pictureu p and let see how they look???

96gt02

Established Member
I never had luck with led, i tried just about every brand 9007 from amazon and the pattern never looked right in my driver side light, i even tried a headlight assembly and still the same issue

03snkvert

Established Member
It is very easy to swap out the bulbs for LEDs. The only thing that bothers me in the model linked above is that you add an exposed fan (moving part) into the engine bay. That for some reason bothers me.

I am not sure if they have a fan in them or not. I did some research in the other threads, and talked to a member about what he ordered. The ones he ordered from Amazon were Identical, but they were $20-30 More.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
They have a fan. Look at the item description and you will find the image that shows the fan sucks air toward the bulb to assist in keeping it cool.
HTB1Y06tGXXXXXb8XpXXq6xXFXXXu.jpg

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Thanks for putting that up. If its not too much trouble, please put up some pics with the LEDs in the stock housing.

I've never run an LED in the headlight housings but have run (3) different HIDs in there from different vendors. And I'm not justifying a retrofit of projectors. I've seen those in person and they are just awful looking during the daytime. Classic ghetto work.

Then the ones you have seen weren't done very well. Of course, given they are a retrofit, anyone can attempt them. But not everyone will be good at it.

Aside from that, HID's in halogen housings is illegal.

I plan on doing another set of projectors, hopefully this winter. With each set, I get a little better.

The led pictures in the link above do look better than PnP HIDs. Neither of them compare to a retrofitted headlight though.

Retrofit your headlights and you will be glad you did. I retrofitted mine with Mini H1s from TRS and output is really impressive. If you're comfortable with taking your headlights apart and making the necessary modifications to fit the projector, its really not that expensive of a modification.

I dont have any pictures of output besides this cutoff line. I took the picture because of the colorful cutoff but you can still see that its pretty sharp for being 25 or so feet away.

D52EB571-3C69-4ADA-94B5-5704627B1803_zpszq7xrbii.jpg

I 100% agree, I absolutely loved my retros on my last car. The colorful cutoff is addicting for some reason, I get it haha. And I used FXRs for my last build. Afraid those wont fit in the mustang headlight though.

Users who are viewing this thread