HID headlight fuses -FYI - left and right are INDEPENDENT

finally03gt

Established Member
The other day my right HID went out. I ordered a pair of bulbs from DDM, and installed the right one to start with. No light. So I tried the other bulb, and still nothing. So I tried the working factory bulb from the left side, and STILL nothing. Not knowing where the ballast was or what voltage to even look for I remembered KISS (keep it simple stupid). I've never seen a car with independent left and right headlight fuses, but then again, I've never had HID's. Low and behold, there are not only independent left and right low beam fuses, in the cabin panel, but also a high beam fuse and another set of left and right low beam HID fuses under the hood. The 20 amp under hood for the right side was blown and the factory takes outs are now my spare back up bulbs. Lesson learned.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I'd put the factory HIDs back in and use the DDMs for target practice, they are not laser aligned nor are they quartz glass. I'd get these if you want something on par with OEM as a replacement. Morimoto makes a great piece too.

finally03gt

Established Member
Well, I put them in b/c they have a one year warranty, which does no good sitting on a shelf, and they were paid for. I also ordered 5K's to match my super white LED fogs. The DDM 5K's are still a tad blue, maybe 6K in my opinion, but they are even. I only put about 45 minutes of night driving on them so far, but I really like them. The seem to illuminate better than the OEM. Just my .02

scottydsntknow

Established Member
DDM "warranty"... the HIDs are like $10 each on Amazon (Kensun is the exact same generic cheap HID that DDM uses) and the DDM warranty process is painfully slow at best and often nonexistent. And you are correct if they are off if they are blue, 5k should be pure white. They also will have a far lower lumen output than the 4300k of OEM. They may appear brighter, but they aren't. Silverstar halogens use this trick too, white light seems brighter but they are actually lower lumen output then an OEM yellow bulb. I mean if you like them then more power to you.

Users who are viewing this thread