Hi-Fi guys/audiophiles get in here!

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I wanna get start building a budget hi-fi stereo system but I'm not sure which route I want to take. I don't have any vinyl so a turntable won't be necessary.

As far as receivers, Onkyo/Macintosh/Yamaha/etc should all have something capable in a good price range.

Where I get lost are the loudspeakers, preamps, processors, amplifiers and wiring.

I don't wanna get too crazy as this will be my first system so I'm not sure all that is necessary to get started. I would, however, like to find a good receiver/amplifier/speaker combination to start with.

A buddy of mine recommended I check out Emotiva Audio. Their prices seem really fair and they offer just about everything you need to put a system together but their amps are all solid state; no tubes. Pros/cons to this?

I guess I'm just looking for some direction or some helpful information to make sure I do this right. Feel free to post your setup if you'd like.

Oh, and don't recommend an $11,000 pair of towers, please.

TIA

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I didn't want to spend a billion dollars either and there are so many house hold and non house hold brands that are out there so I called it quits and got a Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver, Yamaha YST-SW515 subwoofer and Polk Audio RTI series speakers creating 7.1 surround. Cabling is the flat monster cable so it could be hidden along the baseboards. Personally I don't think you need anything else, most guys run a amp if they have a insane subwoofer but my Yamaha has one built in. Better than average system IMO, maybe not considered audophile for the guys buying one $50K speaker.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
You've got to start with the speakers (and your room) and work back.

Don't worry about electronics for now, bring a few of your own CD's to listen, and try not to audition more than 2-3 speakers a day. Always use the same CD's, and be aware that when a speaker lets you hear something in a song you've never heard before, you'll then be able to hear that in most every speaker from then on. Keep in mind the speaker that revealed it; discard those that mask it.

Bigger speakers are usually better than small ones, don't buy from people in white vans, regardless of their sales pitch.

Deep bass is usually difficult to reproduce. In Enya's Orinoco Flow there's a passage where there are several very deep bass notes, all at different frequencies. Play this passage and listen; see if all the notes are distinct, and different frequencies. Some speakers reproduce these notes, but they all sound the same.

I'll see if I can find the time these notes are in the song and post back in.

-edit- The series of notes starts at about 1 minute 50 seconds in the song.

This (and posts of others) will get you started.

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
two questions

1) what is your budget
2) what do you watch/listen to mostly

And it starts with your intentions and your budget.

For home theater buy a receiver and call it a day.

For 2 channel listening on a budget, you could probably rule out vacuum tubes. The closest sound to this is a used mcintosh MC-250, $350.00, then you'd need a preamp, a used B&K isn't all that much.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
And it starts with your intentions and your budget.

For home theater buy a receiver and call it a day.

For 2 channel listening on a budget, you could probably rule out vacuum tubes. The closest sound to this is a used mcintosh MC-250, $350.00, then you'd need a preamp, a used B&K isn't all that much.

exactly...the op didnt really say what they wanted to do with the system

rickm8

Banned
I can repeat, it's all about what you plan to do. I got 2 old fisher 3 ways (the STV's, they aren't special in the world of audiophelia, but I find them to be pretty nice), a 4 wire input sony STR-DE185, 2 100 watt logitech satellites, and 2 200watt 10" powered subs...this is set up basically to listen to hip hop and rap, along with really loud rock.

If you want to listen to true masterpieces you'll need something more special, my system kills for mixtape hip-hop though...

NOTE: Many audiophiles won't even consider you a true audio lover if you mess with the EQ :rolleyes:

When I get a job and a room that is good for audio it will be one of my first investments...

Last edited:

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
My 50" Samsung is in my living room and the system will go in my bedroom so it will be strictly for music.

I guess the problem is I listen to nearly every single genre. Anything from Jay Z to Pink Floyd to Enya to Mozart to Avenged Sevenfold etc.

I can't really specify on a budget, though. I'm not expecting to be able to buy everything at once. I'd rather spend the extra money and buy one or two really good pieces at a time instead of cheaping out just to get it done. If I had to ballpark it though id say $400-$600 for the receiver, $800-$1,000 for the towers, $300-$500 for the amplifier and whatever good wiring would cost. I can always add more to it later but I figure that's a good starting point.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
you typically want to spend the brunt of your cash on the receiver. It's the brain for everything. Skimp on your receiver and I don't care what speakers you buy. I listen to everything except country and Polks seem to be in your price range for speakers IMO so I would get a setup like I said if it were me, oh wait I did, lol.

GreenSnake

Established Member
I have JBL Northridge E60 speakers and an old JVC receiver. I tried some Klipsch computer speakers and they sound better than my stereo lol. It looks like having a good receiver is really important.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
A/V Truths
This site should get you in the right direction, no bias

Very helpful link. Thank you.

After some research, I think I have a good starting point. I'm gonna go with Emotiva for the receiver and amp and I wanna get a couple towers. I don't need surround at the moment because it's gonna be primarily for music. I'm not sure who to go with for the towers, though. The receiver and amp will be about $700 and I'd like to find a couple towers for $400 or $500. Later I'll probably add a powered sub and a couple rear channels but this should be a good place to start.

Any ideas for towers? Polk has some lower end models in that range but I'm not sure how they sound.

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Any idea what you'd like for sources?

Is FM something you'd like, other than DSOTM on disc?

If so, a preamp-tuner combo (rather than a strict preamp) could be a starting point.

If you're looking for a 2 channel audiophile system, or HT ststem; Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Forums can help

edit- for the Polk speakers (or any of them for that matter) you're going to have to take the time to listen to them yourself.

Buy from where you hear them, would be my advice, not off the internet.

Last edited:

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
+10000000 to everyone that told you to trust YOUR own ears.

My opinion - most solid state amps (even those with some type of DSP) will give you great performance, but speakers are the big differnce maker. The reason: they actually generate the sound. I can tell you, I have never spent more that $400 on a amp or receiver, but more than double that on speakers.

Int Amp (prob other places tha Crutchfield to find)
Yamaha AX-497 Stereo integrated amplifier at Crutchfield.com

Speakers - Look at some of these - the Axioms kick ass.

Floorstanding Speakers : Millennia M60 v2 - Axiom Audio

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125

Hope this helps.:rockon:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
One other thing, a big one.

Educate yourself as a listener.

Sit in the middle, between (but away, obviously) the speakers, while playing one of the discs you brought.

There will be a place where the lead vocalist will seem to be in front of you, a little higher than where you are. Move around, the vocalist will sound best from one spot.

How focused is the sound? (Don't be afraid to move the speakers, toe in usually helps.)

Where's the bass guitar in the soundstage? The rhythm guitar sounds like it's where? Where do you hear the drums? The lead guitar sounds like it's over here...

Does it all sound good, and 'right' from your mindset?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
you typically want to spend the brunt of your cash on the receiver. It's the brain for everything. Skimp on your receiver and I don't care what speakers you buy. I listen to everything except country and Polks seem to be in your price range for speakers IMO so I would get a setup like I said if it were me, oh wait I did, lol.

Sorry to disagree but this isn't true at all. You don't want to "skimp" per say on the AVR but you def. don't want to dump more money than needed into it. Yes its the brain but there is A LOT!! more difference in speakers than in AVR's. This is a common fact that everyone goes by.

PS- Polks are way under his budget...he can do much better for that budget.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Very helpful link. Thank you.

After some research, I think I have a good starting point. I'm gonna go with Emotiva for the receiver and amp and I wanna get a couple towers. I don't need surround at the moment because it's gonna be primarily for music. I'm not sure who to go with for the towers, though. The receiver and amp will be about $700 and I'd like to find a couple towers for $400 or $500. Later I'll probably add a powered sub and a couple rear channels but this should be a good place to start.

Any ideas for towers? Polk has some lower end models in that range but I'm not sure how they sound.

So is your speaker budget $800-1000 or $400?? Are you using this for strictly music, mostly music, or 50/50 Home Theater/Music?.. and if so what kind of music? Throw out a strict budget and we can help ya. For your first budget I'd pick up some Energy RC's (10's, 30's, 50's, or 70's). KEF also has a nice following lately and their soundstage is wicked! They are a little light on the bass so a subwoofer usually complements them no matter what where as the Energy's wouldn't necessarily need a sub but its up to you. Like others have stated, Emotiva has some nice stuff but is a little light on reviews for some of their newer stuff (I also don't know to much about them). For under 2K you won't find a speaker that will handle music more accurately than the Energy RC's BUT!! junk in is junk out so quality of the music is a big key too. Throw out a strict budget for everything and we can help ya out! Everything will depend on your budget...:beer:

Last edited:

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Alright here's what I want to accomplish:

The system will be strictly for music
I want to start with a simple 2 channel setup because music doesn't really require surround sound and it will be in a fairly small room
Most music will be played off of CDs at 256 kbps
I would like to get all necessary components for around $1,500
The genre of music will be all over the place. Rock, metal, hip-hop, classical, country, jazz, pop, etc. Slayer to Enya.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread