hey newbie here a couple irs questions

steves86ta

Established Member
Hey guys I'm new to the site. Unfortunately i do not have a real cobra. But I did just purchase a,00 gt that has cobra front and rear bumpers (99-01) it has the cobra side view mirrors, front brembos (i think from a cobra r) and a irs in it. I do not know the previous owner and know no history on the car. But for 1k I could not pass it up. My question is how can I tell what year the irs is out of? It does have 3.90's and from the research I have done there is a brace that only came on 03-04's? I might be wrong. I tried to snap a picture of it if this will help identify what it is from. also for a pretty much stock dd that has a programmer, Cai, gears and orh/cat back. It will see the drags every once in a while and dd every o ther day. Would it be wise to just buy a cover brace and keep the irs or build a sra and sell the irs?
Thanks for your help
Steve

Here are the pics

IMAG0163.gif

IMAG0164.gif

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Welcome to SVTperformance.

That's not a '99 IRS diff brace, the '99 diff brace doesn't connect to the pumpkin it just crosses underneath the diff to the other side of the IRS subframe.

That doesn't mean the previous owner didnt swap in a 03/04 diff brace to an earlier IRS.

Wheel hop kills the stock half shafts. Pay attention and lift off the throttle as soon as the rear starts to shake.

steves86ta

Established Member
Thanks for the help though... So it does have an 03-04 cobra brace? Also anything else I can take apart or look at to try to figure out what it is out of? Also any idea of what it should run just an idea?

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Well, that brace also came on the '00 R and can be purchased for '99 and '01 rears to be swapped on. With the NVH damper hangine from it though I would say its a '03-'04. If you can snap a pic of the axles we will know for sure. Did you say you got this car for $1k? If so that is beyond ridiculous and I hate you very much lol

steves86ta

Established Member
What is the nvh damper? The rubber part on the front by the pinion? And ill snap a couple pics of the axles when I get to lunch if I can. And yeah 1k the cobra r makes sense because of the front brembos too... How much weaker are the cobra r irs's than the terminators? Thanks again

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
If youlook at the axles and they taper at the ends towards the brakes then it is a 99 IRS and 28 spline...if not i think it is a 01-04 IRS and 31 spline axles...not sure if the 01 axles taper at the ends or not.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I believe all 99-04 Cobras have 28 spline through the wheels but 01/03-04 have the 31 inside the Diff with the 99 having the 28 spline.

Don't know about the tapering axles though?

steves86ta

Established Member
Does The 03-04 require a shorter driveshaft to be used in a 00gt? Is this correct because I know the driveshaft in the car needs to be shortened as it IS pretty much bottomed out and I think thats why it makes as much gear noise as it does

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does The 03-04 require a shorter driveshaft to be used in a 00gt? Is this correct because I know the driveshaft in the car needs to be shortened as it IS pretty much bottomed out and I think thats why it makes as much gear noise as it does

The IRS driveshaft is shorter then the SRA driveshaft. Is the slip yoke hitting the seal? If there's a little distance between the seal and the part of the yoke that the u-joints connect to you're fine. The drive shafts in the IRS's don't move in and out like an SRA. The gear noise is probably a bad install of the 3.90's.

steves86ta

Established Member
Heres a pic of one of the axles can you tell bY these? And yeah if its not hitting the seal it is extremely close I'm going to have it shortened regardless when I have the time ill pull the rear down (again) and check all the tolerances. But here are the pics thanks again
IMAG0166.gif

IMAG0167.gif

IMAG0168.gif

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
yea you should be good as far a strength goes with it...and no problem...thats what we are all here for!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread