Hey, HTT: Where's the GT500 Convertible???

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I called SVT, the guy said (very nice guy, by the way) that "they always have [produced a Cobra convertible] in the past" what-ever-the-hell that means. I was truly disappointed that the "surprise" wasn't a Vert GT500 for NY. Even HTT was quoted:
"Will there be a Cobra Convertible?" "Come to New York" was his answer. Well, someone went there, right? Where the hell is it??? :cuss:

Does anyone have any rumor/inuendo/real info about this?

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
crispy23c said:
I called SVT, the guy said (very nice guy, by the way) that "they always have [produced a Cobra convertible] in the past" what-ever-the-hell that means. I was truly disappointed that the "surprise" wasn't a Vert GT500 for NY. Even HTT was quoted:
"Will there be a Cobra Convertible?" "Come to New York" was his answer. Well, someone went there, right? Where the hell is it??? :cuss:

I went there yesturday and there was no convertible Shelby, I actually asked the ford rep if a vert is coming out and he suggested that there would not be one beacuse of the amount of tq the Shelby produces.

stang99

crispy23c said:

There was no 93' Cobra convertible.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Hey!! I want one!! Can you hear me out there?!?! MAKE A VERT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE. ehh, now my throat's sore.

InfiniteWill

Established Member
Too much torque?

98(oBra\/ert said:
I went there yesturday and there was no convertible Shelby, I actually asked the ford rep if a vert is coming out and he suggested that there would not be one beacuse of the amount of tq the Shelby produces.

This make absolutly no sense as Ford stated in the press release for the '05 Convertable GT that the new Mustang chassis has 200%+ more torsional rigidity than that previous Fox bassed chassis. So rigid that they would not need additional bracing to make a convertible model. The rep you spoke with is saying that with the stronger chassis and sub connectors etc it still is not rigid enough? I doubt it.

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
InfiniteWill said:
This make absolutly no sense as Ford stated in the press release for the '05 Convertable GT that the new Mustang chassis has 200%+ more torsional rigidity than that previous Fox bassed chassis. So rigid that they would not need additional bracing to make a convertible model. The rep you spoke with is saying that with the stronger chassis and sub connectors etc it still is not rigid enough? I doubt it.
Hey, im not saying there wont be a vert, I would love one myself. im just saying what the Ford rep said to me in NY. :shrug:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I know, I know. This is driving me nuts! First, there will be one, then there won't, then there will, then there won't. WTF?!?! :cuss: :cuss:
C'MON, FORD!!! Bring on the Flippin' Convertible already!!!

BTW, SVT, I will be calling again tomorrow, when you are open...

Last edited:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Okay. I just got off the phone with SVT. The guy said there will "absolutely" be a convertible GT500, will debut in Detroit in early '06 with the production GT500 Coupe.
For those of you who care (like me), there is hope! :coolman:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
crispy23c said:
Okay. I just got off the phone with SVT. The guy said there will "absolutely" be a convertible GT500, will debut in Detroit in early '06 with the production GT500 Coupe.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a coupe, but, my brother has been bugging me to find out if a ragtop will be available.

Fourcam330

Established Member
InfiniteWill said:

There's a HUGE TQ difference between the GT500 motor and the GT motor. Especially after mods and consiering Ford is raising the NVH bar on all their cars/trucks, I wouldn't blame them for not making a 'vert.

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
HA! I knew Dodge has been dropping the ball all along- and lets not forget those blown windsors in the s351's.

I think the real truth is something more along the lines of... between the hellacious tq of the 5.4 and the heavy weight of a vert- the bellhousing has become an extremely hazardous place.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
HA! I knew Dodge has been dropping the ball all along- and lets not forget those blown windsors in the s351's.

I think the real truth is something more along the lines of... between the hellacious tq of the 5.4 and the heavy weight of a vert- the bellhousing has become an extremely hazardous place.

Ummm, the 'vert only weighs about 120 lbs more than the H-Top. That is the weight of 1 passenger, roughly, so I do not think that Ford's tolerances are that tight. I think they can build it if they want, it's more a matter of "when" than "how". I still stick with my previous info that it will be unveiled at the '06 Detroit show (at the latest). I believe it might even be rolled out a little earlier to keep the buzz going on the '500.

jean

Established Member
They want to sell the mustang gt vert this summer and 06 will be the convertible GT500:Marketing strategies?

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
There will be a GT500 Convertible according to SVT

crispy23c said:

According to my source at SVT, there will be a convertible, and suprisingly, he stated that the convertible will be available with the coupe introduction. I am assuming they have already tooled up and engineered the convertible, or SVT would not have been so positive about it...The car body is much more rigid than the previous one, so I do not think the convertible will be much more than the usual problem it always is....Some reinforcement, and slightly heavier than the coupe.....

Croco X

SVT Fanboy
Established Member
crispy23c said:
I'll be there at the '06 NAIAS and I'll put up pictures, even if I have to drive in from Chicago to do so...

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
According to my source at SVT, there will be a convertible, and suprisingly, he stated that the convertible will be available with the coupe introduction. I am assuming they have already tooled up and engineered the convertible, or SVT would not have been so positive about it...The car body is much more rigid than the previous one, so I do not think the convertible will be much more than the usual problem it always is....Some reinforcement, and slightly heavier than the coupe.....
NICE! There really is hope... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread