Hey guys I need your help

flsuprabro

Wannabe
Established Member
I have a 96 Mirage. Its cheap on gas and only has 90k on it. But, I am having problems with the Air. After I have driven awhile, it sounds like there is a high pressure leak. But if I push on the clutch it stops and cold air starts to blow again. I dont know whats going on and thought you guys might know.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
By clutch do you meen the A/C compressor clutch, if so sounds like it's either going out or you maybe low on refrigerant, or have to much refrigerant (was it resently serviced?).

aaandht

Established Member
Could be something to do with the AC hose and the clutch cable rubbing(assuming you don't have a hydraulic clutch). When the clutch is pushed in it unkinks it or something to that effect. Pop the hood and take a look see.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Lightning Steve said:
By clutch do you meen the A/C compressor clutch, if so sounds like it's either going out or you maybe low on refrigerant, or have to much refrigerant (was it resently serviced?).

As far as I know, there is no vehicle in existence where the operator can manually engage/disengage the AC clutch from inside the vehicle...:p

Lightning Steve

Established Member
ford_racer said:
As far as I know, there is no vehicle in existence where the operator can manually engage/disengage the AC clutch from inside the vehicle...:p

Okay, ya got me on that one, was thinking he was using a stick or something in the engine bay, which is stupid but I'd probably do it.

ford_racer said:
Let me be the first to say:That's frickin weird.

Yep, it is.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If I understand you correctly; when the car is in gear rolling down the street you have no cold air blowing out the vents if the AC is turn on. As soon as you engage the clutch the compressor kicks in and you can feel cold air blowing.

Your low on refrigerant charge: Belt driven refrigerant compressors spin at a higher rate as a car's RPMS increase. If your low on charge and high on RPM the the pressure level in the suction side of the compressor will drop so low it will trip the low pressure switch thus disengaging the compressor clutch. If you take the car out of gear by engaging the engine's clutch the motor RPMS fall allowing the low pressure switch to re-engage suddenly you feel cold air blowing again.

Bring the car to a shop and have them check the charge.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
In addition to the above statement it's possible for the high pressure switch to trip if your condensor coil is dirty. As the Motor RPMS increase so does the compressors ability to compress refrigerant. If the condensing coil is dirty the head presure will climb above the high pressure switch's set point and trip it.

Wash the coils in the front of the car with a hose. I

I still think it's low on charge though.

Last edited:

flsuprabro

Wannabe
Established Member
Ok well let me through in a kink. I do mean the clutch to take it out of gear. But when I went to add more Refrigerant in my car it said it was to high. So any Ideas.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
If I understand you correctly; when the car is in gear rolling down the street you have no cold air blowing out the vents if the AC is turn on. As soon as you engage the clutch the compressor kicks in and you can feel cold air blowing.

Your low on refrigerant charge: Belt driven refrigerant compressors spin at a higher rate as a car's RPMS increase. If your low on charge and high on RPM the the pressure level in the suction side of the compressor will drop so low it will trip the low pressure switch thus disengaging the compressor clutch. If you take the car out of gear by engaging the engine's clutch the motor RPMS fall allowing the low pressure switch to re-engage suddenly you feel cold air blowing again.

Bring the car to a shop and have them check the charge.

Pushing in the clutch is disengaging...

That's all I have to offer as you summed up the actual problem for the OP.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
To high of a charge is also bad and will cause the same high head pressure switch to cut out. As Mr Mach-ete sugested take it in and have them put it to the proper charge.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
ford_racer said:
Pushing in the clutch is disengaging...

That's all I have to offer as you summed up the actual problem for the OP.

I always though releasing the clutch was disengaging?:shrug: Pushing in on the clutch was engaging...anyone?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I think a little definition is required. Pushing in on the clutch "disengages the engine from the drive train, releasing the clutch, engages the engine to the drive train.

Common

Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
I always though releasing the clutch was disengaging?:shrug: Pushing in on the clutch was engaging...anyone?

Gota give this one to Kyle, srry:rolling:
But your post was on the money with all else.

Users who are viewing this thread