Hey everyone is there a way to oil the clutch cable while it is still in the car?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
ummmm, no.

That's more likely a clutch related problem if it's sticking

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
You might have a throw out bearing/guide tube problem. Take the inspection cover off and have some work the clutch. Something is hanging up in there.

T3naci0usT

Terminator Lover
Established Member
I guess I should have clarified... It isn't sticking so much as it is had to get in gear, and if I take my foot off the brake it starts to roll. So either the cable itself it sticking the the sleeve or I don't have my firewall adjuster correctly setup. Sorry for the confusion

Sent from my LG-H918 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GDDYUP

Established Member
You could unhook it from the clutch pedal and slide the cable out of the firewall. I wouldn't "oil" it though. I would get some liquid graphite and shoot some of that down the clutch cable. The liquid dries out and leaves the graphite inside the cable housing. Graphite is a great dry lubricant and doesn't pull dirt and debris towards it like silicones or oil based lubes can.

keith89

Established Member
I guess I should have clarified... It isn't sticking so much as it is had to get in gear, and if I take my foot off the brake it starts to roll. So either the cable itself it sticking the the sleeve or I don't have my firewall adjuster correctly setup. Sorry for the confusion

based on this, the cable does not need lubing. your cable is out of adjustment. The clutch is not fully disengaging which makes it hard to put into gear and makes the car roll. You need to adjust the firewall adjuster by screwing it in until you have a little freeplay.

cj428mach

Established Member
based on this, the cable does not need lubing. your cable is out of adjustment. The clutch is not fully disengaging which makes it hard to put into gear and makes the car roll. You need to adjust the firewall adjuster by screwing it in until you have a little freeplay.
Yep, what he said. You need to fix this asap as you re basically frying the clutch when you're at a stop and holding the brakes.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have always had problems with it. So I need to screw it in? If I do that it starts to rattle like a mother.

Seeing that you have a RST its possible your pivot ball was never setup right and getting the proper cable adjustment could be very difficult to impossible.

You need your cable to be tighter/get more pull on the clutch because you're not fully disengaging it enough when the pedal is pressed.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I say wd40..

In a perfect world it would be nice to have cable lubed and last forever..

I didn't see anything on my new cable..

I found out after install..it needs something to work it in..

It's worth the 20mins or so to do..

Un hook both ends..I assume you can leave it bolted to frame and work it in..

If it wasn't for having this issue and seen 1st hand it does make a difference. .

I would question it

keith89

Established Member
Seeing that you have a RST its possible your pivot ball was never setup right and getting the proper cable adjustment could be very difficult to impossible.

You need your cable to be tighter/get more pull on the clutch because you're not fully disengaging it enough when the pedal is pressed.
my mistake. yes, cable needs to be tighter, but it's more likely that the pivot ball was not adjusted properly and won't give you the proper range of motion to fully disengage. This is why i recommend sticking to clutches that use the stock pivot ball setup unless you are meticulous about the install.

T3naci0usT

Terminator Lover
Established Member
my mistake. yes, cable needs to be tighter, but it's more likely that the pivot ball was not adjusted properly and won't give you the proper range of motion to fully disengage. This is why i recommend sticking to clutches that use the stock pivot ball setup unless you are meticulous about the install.
I didn't know whenever I bought it. Other than this it has been amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread