hesitation, IC fluid consumption, and lean condition: inputs please

bomrrman84

Established Member
vehicle is a 99 lightning, check sig for mods
After about 3 months of troubleshooting and diagnosis ive gotten a very detailed post here for you guys. i was also using the search function quite a bit the last few months as well. symptoms are as follows: truck hesitates and sputters/pings when rolling into WOT, and seems to pull timing and run weaker as it wars up. i believe this could be a few things here and this is why. i have a known lean condition after using an OBD2 diagnostic tool, got the infamous P0174 and P0171......cant remember if those are the exact ones since it was a bit ago, but it was the "bank 1 lean" and "bank 2 lean" codes. you guys get the idea.
so what do i do as far as repairs? well to start i have another car to drive so i put the lightning in the garage for the week and pulled the blower and iC to clean them both. did a compression test as well and changed plugs. also did an EGR delete to facilitate my troubleshooting and remve a vaccum leak from the equation. checked infamous "L" hose on the back too, no issues with that. compression was slightly off, but, nothing indicates a huge loss. drivers side bank was about 150 psi and passnegers was about 120-130 psi from what i recall and plugs looked nominal for the most part. anyways, replaced plugs no issues, put stockers back in since i have stock pulley. cleaned MAF and associated intake components. put everything back together......truck still runs rough. got another project so truck sat for about a week. get in to drive it......runs like a charm, so i drive it the next day to work and back. i didnt mess with it since it was running good. starts hesitating pinging/ sputtering again and running like a pig. wish i would have found it earlier, but theres a leak in the IC system somewhere, since its eating fluid. only takes about a day to eat it all. (my daily drive is about 25 miles round trip) havent started throwing money at it since thats never a good fisrt option. im guessing that with everything going on, a rebuild is in the near future but like i said, compression test checked out pretty decent.
im thinking if i get a new IC and change it (which sucks since i JUST had the thing off and probably could have done it then) get 2 new 02 sensors and a cat delete, it could fix my problems. emissions isnt an issue since im stationed at middle of nowhere New Mexico and they dont check them here anyways. any inputs are appreciated guys please share your experiences and maybe you more regular SVTP posters can help me solve this once and for all. thanks!

bomrrman84

Established Member
not sure, i looked into it but the history on the vehicle is splotchy at best. im the 6th owner, and it's on a rebuilt title (was a california theft recovery). i took it to ford when i first got it and they said all it needed was the cuise control recall done which is super simple. im guessing it probably had it though, since its got 147k on the clock

bomrrman84

Established Member
Cmon!

seriously, nothing guys?!?!? i know im not the only person that has had a problem like this, i've searched these forums high and low, lets get some expert opinions on this! thanks!

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
My theory is fix what you have in place BEFORE you remove and change things. In other words find the problem before you create new ones.

On that note, have your intercooler pressure checked for leaks before buying a new one. Also replace the fuel relays, high - low especially, and check your intercooler pump for function/flow when warm amnd lastly, check the resistor next to the intercooler pump, could be cracked.

From your described symptoms, these are some items that can cause them.

Good luck.

BTW, Most of the "Expert Opinion" guys/gals (not me) don't check these forums daily so be patient, one or more of them will catch your post and jump in if they can help.

jokerzL

Established Member
Take your supercharger off clean the intercooler and check the turkey pan.

You will find your leak there

a8a8e6e4.jpg

jokerzL

Established Member
Count your intercooler rows i
y5u7e2u5.jpg

ihave ten. If you have 9 the recall was never done. If your pinging going into wot stop doing it. Pull your supercharger time.

bomrrman84

Established Member
cool thanks for the inputs guys. Joker, one interesting thing to note: the last time i pulled the blower and intercooler there was no leak detected and i didnt have any residual fluid. thats the thing that threw me off last time since in theory if i had a leak, i would be very evident in that area.
Fireguy: that definitely makes sense. so far ive been very careful to only remove things out of the equation just to make troubleshooting a little easier. i didnt even think to have the thing pressure tested so ill definitely have that done. ill know for sure then. one other detail that may or may not be amplifying; when i would get into the boost and it was running rough seems like the boost pegs alot higher, like <10psi. i have the stock pulley so this is slightly off to me. when its running good, the thing never goes past 9 psi. can anyone think of a reason why my engine would be functioning in this manner? and would this be associated with some of the malfunctions that were identified earlier?

Last edited:

Bonestk87

Established Member
Higher boost would mean plugged cats or plugged Intercooler. Possibility a bad boost gauge?? If the Intercooler system is eating all the fluid in a day and its not going on the ground then it has to be the Intercooler itself leaking. I know you said it wasn't leaking when you pulled it off but is there anyway you could have poked a hole in it somehow? Getting a lean code on both banks in my experience has usually resulted in a vacuum leak somewhere. Goodluck!

Last edited:

jokerzL

Established Member
Im sure its your intercooler. 100% sure because if it not on the ground its in the exhaust. Simple as that.

Where is your coolant tank mounted for the intercooler. Do you have a bed mounted tank or what?

Last edited:

bomrrman84

Established Member
stock coolant tank, so under the hood in the normal position. like i said before, it was probably leaking before and was doing the same thing before i pulled it, so chances are it's had a hole for a while. i agree joker, its gotta be the intercooler. it spits a bit of water out of the exhaust too( not just the normal stuff you get, considerably more, due to what we talked about earlier). i will be buying the mutt plate and new intercooler once i save a little more money. i bought a cheap 95 bronco to DD so i can give the lightning a good break. oh, and i will also be buying an MMR forged rotating assembly. i dont want to chance it, so time to rebuild.

jokerzL

Established Member
Text me

1-815-383-2513

I have been helping out the lightning guys with ports

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread