Hesitation/falls on it's face at 5k rpm

Clazer1

Established Member
Well ladies and Gents, just got this car and i keep having little problems. I've seen this problem in a thread but didnt see the outcome or a fix for it. I'm sure one of you guys know exactly what this could be so any and all comments/responses will be appreciated :)....

The car is an 01 V6 originally but has an 04 termi swap:coolman:. Really good swap at that actually, thats why i bought it lol. The problem occures during hard exceleration at around 5k rpms in third and 4th and prob 5-6 and it just falls flat on its face. I've heard it might be a pump problem? sensor problem? Ive actually seen a guy maybe fix it with a boost a pump? not sure. They were really old threads so someone on here must know the real fix to this thing instead of replacing a million things to fix it lol. Let me know what you guys think... :??:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Tell us more about the swap? Stock fuel system used? Engine mods etc.....sounds like your running out of fuel or blowing the spark out.

Clazer1

Established Member
^^
It has the Termi pump in the tank. It's has all the stock fuel delivery system you would find in the 04 Termi. Car has pully upgrade, spec3 clutch, bbk intake and throttle body, solid axle with 4:10's. I do have a diablo tuner that came with the car but im not really too sure how good the tune is or if its installed. I'm going to get a tune from Steeda next week, i think.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
My termi used to do this all the time....ended up being the wrong part number FRPS. You have to have a certain one or it will fall flat on its face around 4500rpms. I would tell you the right part number but I just recently went return style and got rid of my FRPS. What I did when I had it is I went to a local UpullIt yard and grabbed every FRPS off every mustang and Mark I could find. I think I ended up with 30 plus sensors and it was like 15 bucks.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No handheld to check for codes? I too had this problem at higher rpm's. Felt like it was hitting the rev limiter at 5k. Mine was my fuel rail pressure sensor, changed oil, replaced sensor, and cleared the code. I did add a kenne bell disc that goes inside the frps to reduce fuel spikes and not ruin the diagram as easy.

Clazer1

Established Member
Thanks guys for the input. I do have a handheld and it was throwing the p0148 fuel delivery code. Ill try the FRPS first and let you guys know what happens :) as soon as i get some time, probably tomorrow. Hopefully its a quick fix and i can take this thing to the track and see what it runs up here.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys for the input. I do have a handheld and it was throwing the p0148 fuel delivery code. Ill try the FRPS first and let you guys know what happens :) as soon as i get some time, probably tomorrow. Hopefully its a quick fix and i can take this thing to the track and see what it runs up here.

Yup that's the same code mine had! I'm betting a new frps will fix your problem! Keep us posted. :beer:

Clazer1

Established Member
Sweet deal. Where did you get the Kenne Bell disk? I just read about it and it helps with the avoidance and destruction of the FRPS or at least makes it last longer lol.... How much does the FRPS cost and the disk?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Sweet deal. Where did you get the Kenne Bell disk? I just read about it and it helps with the avoidance and destruction of the FRPS or at least makes it last longer lol.... How much does the FRPS cost and the disk?

I called them for the disk. It may take awhile.

Clazer1

Established Member
Well guys, i was going to update you but seeing how my clutch cable just broke, the sensor is gonna have to wait lol. "The clutch is supposed to be that stiff" my ass!!! If its not one thing its another.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
I didnt read through everyones comments after the initial thread was started, but it sounds to me like your running out of fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread