Hesitates when cold startup?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Hey folks, I've only had my 2014 GT for two months now. I've read about the S197 GTs hesitating a little when backing up or with a low rpm 1st gear start. My car has 50k miles and I'm the second owner. I've been noticing that when I start it up after sitting overnight that when I take off in 1st gear it hesitates and even "chugs" sometimes. After a minute or so it never acts that way again. Is this normal for manual S197 GTs or is there something wrong with mine? I've purchased the Ford Racing Procal tuner but haven't installed it yet because it will void my Ford ESP warranty on the engine, but then that's another story.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Could be because it's not warmed up enough. Mine always gets 3-5 minutes of warm up. It also could be the transmission, the MT82 isn't known for being the best thing ever made. Some guys with a manual could chime in on their experiences. I'd also check your plugs...

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
My car bucks a bit/surges if i startup cold and drive. If i let it idle for 60-120 seconds before driving off its fine.

I know more than a few others that do this as well.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
This is normal for the m6 cars. Like said above let it idle a little longer and it won't do it.

ExTurbo

Established Member
mine does the same, seems like it gets a bit worse over time, i was thinking plugs but since im n/a i dont see why theyd be going with only 30k on the clock. I had suspected the tune but it seems common.

helloWorld

Established Member
I keep a stopwatch in my car and let my car idle exactly 4 minutes and 30 seconds whenever I have a cold start situation.

I let my car idle exactly 30 seconds if the engine has been recently shut off (i.e. grocery shopping.)

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
u shud let ur car warm up a few minutes regardless of cold start issues

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes, what you are experiencing is normal. My car does the same if it's not warmed up. When I cold start and can't let it get warm, I will idle cruise the car in 1st and 2nd just so I can get going but not really rev the car at all so all the metals can do their thing at slow engine speeds.

03Steve

Established Member
This could probably be addressed in the calibration. One item that comes to mind is closed loop delay.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Thanks for chiming in guys. I don't typically have time to let it idle for more than a minute or two in the mornings. I've got a kid to get to jr high and she's usually running behind as it is. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread