Here we go: Trailer ?'s

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
I've decided to break down and get a trailer. Enclosed is out of the question (price range), so it's down to an open trailer. Aluminum would be nice, but damn! They's expensive!

I'm looking at a used 22' with a very large storage box on the front that would allow me to add a tire rack on top (considering I now have an extra set of wheels/tires). I've also looked at some tilt-beds and standard 18' trailers that would fit the bill. One thing I've noticed, is most of the open trailers are not "load leveling" compatible.

What standard features should I be looking for? I'll be pulling this for the next year or so with the 03 Explorer (V-6, but I don't think it'd be a problem, Tom Lewis towed the full weight nanner with a Ranger). I'm assuming a class 4 hitch is necessary on the Exploder.

I wish I had a better description of the used one I'm looking at, it's higher than most new open trailers, but the few features I've seen on it are an added plus. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and it'd be nice to have something in hand to reference, from those of you who know.

Thank ya'll

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
With the Explorer, I highly suggest no more than an 18 foot open center trailer with a 2 foot dovetail for easy loading. Electric brakes on both axles, and both a weight distribution hitch and an anti sway attachment of some type. Don't buy anything with a box on the front, as this creates wind resistance (think of it as a sail), and with your V6 Explorer, that is the last thing you want......
In your case, the term keep it simple fits the bill:
http://www.skyline-trailers.com/open_car_trailers.htm#SPECIFICATIONS

And remember, just because Ford states your truck can tow 5,000lbs does not mean that you can do it safely with anything less than the above mentioned.

Bill S.

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
steve, even though the aluminum costs more, its worth it in the long run....lighter and easier to tow, no rust/repaint issues, etc....mine is made by rance aluminum:

http://www.rancealuminum.com/a-ocarhauler-main.htm

Overall: Length: 21'
Width: 102"
Bed Size: Length: 17'
Width: 80"
GVWR: 7000#
Trailer Weight: 1340#
Capacity: 5660#
Tire Size ST225/75R15
Tire Rating: LRC
Wheel Bolt Pattern: 545
Axles Quantity: 2
Size: 3500# Dexter
Brakes: 10" Electric/ Both Axles
Rubber Torsion: Yes
Tongue: "A" Frame w/ Jack
Hitch Ball Size: 2 -5/16"
Floor: Extruded Interlocking Aluminum Plank
Stake Pockets: No
Ramp: Underbody Stow Away
Tilt Bed: No
Tie Downs: 4
Headache Racki: No
Beaver Tail: No
Fenders: Removable

price: just under $4000
opencarhauler7-a.gif

mark wilson also has a nice and VERY light trailer....I forget the brand though....

kevin

i'm reminded of a song done by queen (although clearly out of context of the song)

"another one bites the dust"

the addiction is rampant and daddy's on the loose - look out m and w, hide the plastic and start the christmas/birthday/anniversary/father's day/and "any ole day will doo" present list. :banana: :banana:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
For a trailex trailer, not including the tire rack, figure $6,000 as a base price.

Worthington is also a name brand you should look into, as they include a beaver tail for eaze of loading. I'll be pricing one out soon, then selling off my older steel trailer......

Bill S.

Gastrader1 said:
Trailex is the aluminum trailer Mark Wilson had. Very nice and VERY EXPENSIVE.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Well, after all the negatives, I'm going to hold off. I'll borrow a friends for the 2 events I need it, and keep an eye out for a 24-26' enclosed. Wife has approved a reasonable F250/350 around the first of next year, then it wouldn't be such an issue. I did find a Haulmark 24' enclosed for a small bit less than the open trailer I linked. We'll see...

Aluminum is nice, and I've seen a couple that were setup really well. For that money, I'll buy an enclosed one, sheesh!

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Steve,
My 28' enclosed trailer might be for sale this fall winter. :)

Brian

Then I'll hold off, and see what you do with yours. As much as I've slept in that dang trailer, I feel like all already know it. :thumbsup: (Will that be cluttered, or uncluttered? <snicker>)

Michelle has already approved the "shop for the F250/350", talking her into the purchase on the other hand....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
svtjunkie said:
NJ2000R

you have a 93,95 AND a 00 R?

guilty as charged....you dont have to be crazy to own all 3 R's....but it helps :rollseyes :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Steve,
My 28' enclosed trailer might be for sale this fall winter. :)

Brian

toter time :rockon:

will the trailer be empty? or include a few "extras" ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Althought the trailer might get cluttered during the race weekend with dragging tools and tires out, it is pretty well organized now. You would actually be impressed, steve. :)

Not sure what my tracking/racing future holds, but I would like a trailer with some type of living area, and/or be able haul two cars.

Brian

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread