Here is the FIX for the rear popping!! Just got home with car from Dealer.

Fastford

Established Member
OK here it is!!!!!:bash: I have had the popping noise in my rearend from backing up in the morning. Well here is my Story.

I have had the rear end bolts tightened up per the TSP 2 times. Each time the pop goes away for a little while then comes back. So my friend that is the SVT tech at ford started to disasemble my rear end suspension and low and behold were the rear subframe for the suspension attaches to the forward attach fittings, the holes in the body( were the old lower controll arms on older Pre IRS cars mounted) were 12MM and the holes in the subframe are 14mm. So thats were the popping comes from . The whole rear subframe is shiffting on to small a bolt.

The fix is simple drill the holes in attach fittings to 14mm and install some frame bolts from a F150 ( they are what fit, and you cant be to picky at 10:30 pm:-D ) So needless to say I have eliminated the rear popping on my car. The dealer said they are issuing a letter to SVT about the Problem.

Well take it for what is worth. BTW The H&R sport springs Make the car look awsome:coolman:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Man that sounds like an easy fix. I hope it doesn't come back. Give it some time and let us know if this is the fix for sure. How's the KB treating you. FUN AINT IT? Where did you get the H&R springs at? How was the install? Give us some details. Thanks.....BO

Fastford

Established Member
Well,

My ford Dealer putthe springs in. Since the rear was appart for the popping we installed new Springs, Well the front ahhhhh it was making some sort of "grinding" ya thats it noise you know he one I need my frnt springs replaced noise. So we killed all the bird with 1 stone. Man it looks awsome. Get some picts today.

Mustang Mike

Established Member
I hope thats the fix for the popping noise. My car is going in on Tuesday for the second time to try and get this fixed. I'm going to print up your thread and show it to them. Wish me luck!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Good idea Mike, at least it will show them the difference in size of the bolts.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Very interesting info.

The clicking in my car has been getting worse and worse recently. Yesterday morning it clicked about 4 consecutive times when backing up.
Last night, torqued down all the bolts connected to the rear sway bar. No more clicking...a lot less clunking. One of the bolts on the passenger side was really, really loose.
We'll see how long this lasts.

Firemedic01

Established Member
Guys, while I don't have a Cobra (sad for me) I used loctite red to hold the suspension bolts in place in a different car and they never loosened up again. Have you guys tried a threadlocker like Loctite yet?

AMB

Established Member
FIX

I beleive all 03 Cobra's have the 12mm vice the 14mm bolts in the front lower mounting. When I installed the MM bushings I informed MM about it. It is a problem with all 03 Cobra's.

AMB

FastFwd

Dave hates me
Established Member
99's and 01's too. If the bolts are properly tightened the crush on the sleeve is supposed to keep anything from moving.

John

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
anyone have pictures of which bolts exactly I can retorque to stop rear end popping? Do you know the torque specs? I'de like to do what I can myself instead of dealing with a disagreeable service dept. that's and hour's drive from home! Any help is appriceated fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread