Hemi wanted to play

spyder207

Established Member
Been having my L for about half a year and can never get anyone to take a chance. Coming home last night from dinner we have a highway here that has several merges in it going from 2 to 1 lane. Having the family with me, I always get in the right lane, which continues while the left lane ends, cause the wife just hates it when I try to "race" someone.

Stopped at the light for about a minute, and what pulls up next to me? An extended cab Dodge with Hemi badges and a SRT hood, real looker. Light turns green and I'm not really thinking he's going to try anything, but I'll be damned, he spins his tires for about 3 feet getting on it real hard.

I laugh, so do my kids as I begin accelerating. In just a few feet I have matched up my front bumper with his passenger door. We continue going about 1/4 mile before the merge and I am slowly gaining ground. By the time his lane ends he is at my rear bumper, my wife is in histerics, the kids are laughing and I'm feeling pretty good.

Oh, if only I had been in the L, but instead we were in the Hyundai Santa Fe. :lol: :lol:

TrevX

Banned
spyder207 said:
Been having my L for about half a year and can never get anyone to take a chance. Coming home last night from dinner we have a highway here that has several merges in it going from 2 to 1 lane. Having the family with me, I always get in the right lane, which continues while the left lane ends, cause the wife just hates it when I try to "race" someone.

Stopped at the light for about a minute, and what pulls up next to me? An extended cab Dodge with Hemi badges and a SRT hood, real looker. Light turns green and I'm not really thinking he's going to try anything, but I'll be damned, he spins his tires for about 3 feet getting on it real hard.

I laugh, so do my kids as I begin accelerating. In just a few feet I have matched up my front bumper with his passenger door. We continue going about 1/4 mile before the merge and I am slowly gaining ground. By the time his lane ends he is at my rear bumper, my wife is in histerics, the kids are laughing and I'm feeling pretty good.

Oh, if only I had been in the L, but instead we were in the Hyundai Santa Fe. :lol: :lol:

Thats a good one, LOL...you had me thinking you were losing in your lightning to one of those slow Dodge Hemi trucks... :D

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
spyder207 said:
In just a few feet I have matched up my front bumper with his passenger door. We continue going about 1/4 mile before the merge and I am slowly gaining ground. By the time his lane ends he is at my rear bumper, my wife is in histerics, the kids are laughing and I'm feeling pretty good.

Ok, you had me there for a while. :dw:

I fell for it. :nono:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Well, that's why I wonder if the truck in question was a Hemi, especially considering the power difference. Maybe it was a 4.7 or 3.7 with Hemi badges or something. I know the Hemi Ram is no Lightning, but my truck would be running about 90 mph at a quarter mile mark and that would be way too much for me to consider running somebody with my kid riding with me.

If that wasn't the case, just overlook my concern.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
I hope this is a joke...a big one....LOL

reason being...i just purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the Hemi, 20's, AWD option, fully loaded....short bed...etc

the thing MOVES for its size. ive seen times of between 15.0 and 15.2 for bone stock Ram 1500's with the Hemi (2003+). with just a drop in K&N filter, a dual exhaust system, and a Hypertech Power Programmer,,,,its very very easy to see 400hp and 415-420lb/tq. (1200 bucks) and times will vary between 14.4-14.8 after these simple additions. not too bad.

I can actually beat alot of cars on the road and hang with quite a few in this thing. the big surprise with this truck is the acceleration ability from a roll.

from a roll its very impressive....i can easily beat most cars on the road from a 40-80mph punch on the freeway....not too bad for a 5200lb truck!!!!

i call BS on a Hyndai santa fe beating up on a Ram with a Hemi. (345hp and 375tq) ie: most powerful pickup truck available in terms of hp/weight ratio.

o and BTW....an exhaust on the HEMI sounds SWEET!!!! i just purchased a magnaflow muffler and custom piping 3" inch diameter to 2 rear exit 3.5" tips under the rear bumper....very loud and clean.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
04TRCobra said:
I hope this is a joke...a big one....LOL

reason being...i just purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the Hemi, 20's, AWD option, fully loaded....short bed...etc

the thing MOVES for its size. ive seen times of between 15.0 and 15.2 for bone stock Ram 1500's with the Hemi (2003+). with just a drop in K&N filter, a dual exhaust system, and a Hypertech Power Programmer,,,,its very very easy to see 400hp and 415-420lb/tq. (1200 bucks) and times will vary between 14.4-14.8 after these simple additions. not too bad.

I can actually beat alot of cars on the road and hang with quite a few in this thing. the big surprise with this truck is the acceleration ability from a roll.

from a roll its very impressive....i can easily beat most cars on the road from a 40-80mph punch on the freeway....not too bad for a 5200lb truck!!!!

i call BS on a Hyndai santa fe beating up on a Ram with a Hemi. (345hp and 375tq) ie: most powerful pickup truck available in terms of hp/weight ratio.

o and BTW....an exhaust on the HEMI sounds SWEET!!!! i just purchased a magnaflow muffler and custom piping 3" inch diameter to 2 rear exit 3.5" tips under the rear bumper....very loud and clean.

I'm glad another fellow SVT owner can attest to what the Hemi Ram does offer. Its not meant to be blistering quick. Keep in mind that this isn't a limited production engine. These are mass produced for usage in the Ram, Durango, Grand Cherokee, 300, Magnum and Charger. In the Ram it truly makes for an enjoyable truck to drive and it does give an air of authority on the road. I've had my 03 for just over a year and a half and I absolutely love the truck. At no time am I left feeling disappointed with it and no quality issues with it as of yet.
FWIW, the 5.7 is a Hemi...just maybe not quite so much so compared to the vintage Mopar mills of days gone by. It is in essense though a Hemi when you consider that its based on the same principle with more modern allowances for tighter emissions.

SVT04

Established Member
The new 5.7 is not a true Hemi engine ...not like the old ones.I have an old 241 cu in Dodge Red Ram ...that is a hemi..so were the other early hemis as well as the 426 from our muscle car days....interesting that the 03-04 Cobras will blow away all the old cars we thought were fast... There are plenty of engines these days that seem to look like hemis but aren't called that...look at a photo of our Cobra heads for instance ...valves on each side and plug in the middle of a sort of semi domed combustion chamber....my Honda ST 1300 is like that as well ...and a few other DOHC engines too ....

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
it is pointless for you to take a stand against a car manufacturer and argue something isnt what they say it is. They arent morons. They know that it isnt the EXACT same motor back from the 70's and whatnot....it is the "modern" Hemi.

By design (of course modernized) the 5.7L V8 is called a Hemi. 345ci.

They are also coming out with a new 6.1L Hemi in the upcoming SRT-8 in the near future.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
I love my Ram, and the 5.7 suprised me. For the size/weight of this QC, it does move really well. I certainly didnt buy it for racing, thats what the Mach is for. However, I am suprised at the power to gas mileage ratio I am getting with it. I have seen just over 20mpg on a 65-70mph cruise. :eek:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
over 20mpg???? damn

I do mostly around town driving...stop and go...whenever im doing 65-70mph its only for a 5-6 minute span before a light or traffic up ahead.

Ive had my truck for about 6 weeks now and i usually see between 10.5-11 mpg for around town driving. about 260-270 to the tank. (26 gallon tank)

i live on the island....theres no such thing as a true highway....lol

Users who are viewing this thread