Helper spring removal question

JasinEdward

Established Member
I have just recently replaced the clutch line with a stainless steel braided line. After that, I removed the helper spring and have been really happy with the feel of the clutch. However every once in a while when I get into the car to start it up after it has been sitting for a while, I notice the clutch pedal feels very low to the floor. Nothing is leaking and it it if full of fluid. The clutch works fine in this position as well. I can fix this by putting my foot under the pedal and pulling it back to the top position. After that, it stays up until the next day when I go to start the car again.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this?

scott_0

Established Member
did you bleed the clutch line thoroughly? it took me 3-4 days to get all the air out of the system

JasinEdward

Established Member
I thought I did.... lol... I had to pump the pedal about 500 times though... I bled it with the helper spring on. I didn't notice this issue until I removed the helper spring.

It's as if the pedal has fallen 1/3 of the way to the floor. The clutch functions fine in this position.

If I pull the pedal all the way to the top with my foot it goes back to normal and stays there.

Last edited:

ExTurbo

Established Member
I thought I did.... lol... I had to pump the pedal about 500 times though... I bled it with the helper spring on. I didn't notice this issue until I removed the helper spring.

It's as if the pedal has fallen 1/3 of the way to the floor. The clutch functions fine in this position.

If I pull the pedal all the way to the top with my foot it goes back to normal and stays there.

Seems like the helper spring automatically raised it that extra little bit, same thing happens to just about everyone that removes the helper spring. changing to DOT 4 fluid helped a bit (or maybe just a placebo) but from what I understand its normal. Now when I get in my car its just something I do, raise the pedal back up...after some spirited runs through the gears I have to pick it back up also

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I removed my helper spring in early 2012, the pedal raised to the same position with or without the spring.

JasinEdward

Established Member
Seems like the helper spring automatically raised it that extra little bit, same thing happens to just about everyone that removes the helper spring. changing to DOT 4 fluid helped a bit (or maybe just a placebo) but from what I understand its normal. Now when I get in my car its just something I do, raise the pedal back up...after some spirited runs through the gears I have to pick it back up also

This is what I was looking to hear! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread