Help!

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Hey guys,

My car only has 8100 miles, and has been sitting for the past couple of months. I purchased the car about 2.5 years ago with 6400 miles on it. So needless to say, I haven't driven it a whole lot. My Mod's are, Headers, O/R x pipe, Bassani Catback, JLT RAI intake, 2.6 upper and a custom tune.

Car runs great....however the last couple of times I turned her on, about 5 mintues into the run I see a fluctuation in Idle. It's also been very cold, and it seems like there has been a slight hesitation when I start the car. I believer it's the original battery. The Idle thing is really suddle and only for a few seconds. Today it threw a service engine soon code.

What do you guys think it might be? Bad battery's throw codes? I also havne't put any stabilizer in the tank so I'm wondering if it's bad gas.

Anything would help guys....thanks

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You need to scan the odes to determine what the reason is , for the service engine light.

What is the Oregon O in your avatar?
Are you from Oregon?

Last edited:

Greenwood1982

Established Member
You need to scan the odes to determine what the reason is , for the service engine light.

What is the Oregon O in your avatar?
Are you from Oregon?

Oregon Ducks. No I am not from Oregon. Beautiful place, but too rainy for me.
All my sports teams are from the west coast.

BTW, we can scan for codes with our handheld tuners right?

Last edited:

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Well ran the diagonostic, reads code P125 if I remember correctly. Said 02 sensor, stuck biased, lean bank 1, and sensor 1. If i'm running an 0/r pipe without a tune I'd expect this to pop up, but i'm running a custom tune that should have turned these sensors off right? So I'm waiting to run this bad gas out(which is 1/8 a tank), with some fuel treatment. then fill her up with good stuff and stabilizer. Code is turned off....we'll see if it pops back up. Any other suggestions or comments guys?

big dad

Established Member
Bank 1 Sensor 1 and bank 2 Sensor 1 are 02 sensors. The rear sensors are referred too as cat monitors even though they appear too be the same as the aforementioned 02 sensors.
You need the front sensors too control A/F ratio when in closed loop operation. The rear sensors or cat monitors monitor the effeciency of the cat convertors too scrub the exhaust gases too remain at or below emission standards and stay in compliance with emissions laws.

This can be confusing for some too deferentiate between the 4 sensors in the exhaust system. The rear sensors are the ones that are probably turned off in the tune. They are referred too as Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2.Code PO125 indicates a problem with Bank 1 Sensor 1 that is not switching or cross counting properly causing a lean miss in that bank. In all likelyhood that sensor has gone bad and needs replacing. Hopes this helps.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
That sounds about right....I believe the sensors I used were still the stock ones. Do you know how easy it is to access this sensor by jacking the car up with jacks? I remember plugging sensors in to the exhaust when I was installing it, and there was one way up almost out of reach towards the header. Is that the one you are referring too?

big dad

Established Member
Bank 1 Sensor 1 would be the first sensor in the front on the passenger side. It will require a 7/8" wrench too remove. Make sure the new 02 sensor has anti-sieze on the threads.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Bank 1 Sensor 1 would be the first sensor in the front on the passenger side. It will require a 7/8" wrench too remove. Make sure the new 02 sensor has anti-sieze on the threads.

Thanks buddy. It's a shame I don't have a lift. I'm not certain if I would be able to get to the sensor with the floor jack I have. I may have to take it to a shop.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
You should be able to get to it, do all my work with jack stands on my back. It shouldn't be too hard to get loose being that it was out when they put in the o/r x pipe. The hard part is reaching the connector cause it is up by the trany.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
You should be able to get to it, do all my work with jack stands on my back. It shouldn't be too hard to get loose being that it was out when they put in the o/r x pipe. The hard part is reaching the connector cause it is up by the trany.

sounds good. I may give it a try then sometime next weekend. Its tough getting stuff done around the house with a 4 month old haha!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
You're welcome. I know how that is, I have got a three month old, so I have been pretty much stuck inside. Although the weather has been ten below pretty much every night so going outside is pretty dreadful.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
You're welcome. I know how that is, I have got a three month old, so I have been pretty much stuck inside. Although the weather has been ten below pretty much every night so going outside is pretty dreadful.

I know. The weather just finally cleared up here. I'm gonna try to get out and check the car when I get a chance. Can you guys think of anything else I should try to check, or does that code that pop up only display the likely hood of a bad 02 sensor?

Greenwood1982

Established Member

Was able to finally get under that car this weekend and get to that 02 sensor. Replaced it with no issues what so ever. Funny thing though, is that when I plugged it in to clear the codes, another code surfaced. Said header restriction? I am only hoping this was all connected to that bad 02 sensor I just replaced. Anyway, haven't driven her, but I did clear the codes and start her up. Hopefully the code never comes back. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread