Help!

Svtrobles99

Established Member
i got pulled over today and got 4 tickets. 1 for not having a front license plate, 1 for tinted windows another for having my taillights "covered" and one for my exhaust. I just bought the car a month ago and it had the holes in the bumper filled in so i couldn't put the license plate on. It also came with the exhaust. It has long tube headers,catted shorty x pipe and magnaflow catback. I know i have to take off the tint on the front windows and change my taillights but what do i do about the exhaust and front license plate? Can i show up to court and fight it by myself or with a parent since im 16?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Most of the time if you show up to court with proof (I.e. photo or repair reciept) the judge MIGHT be nice enough to drop the equipment charges. They do this only because they see you've made the effort to correct the issues at hand.

Svtrobles99

Established Member
thanks for the advice. im just going to change the taillights, take off the tint from the windows and put the front license plate on. Hopefully i wont have to change the exhaust.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The car should have never been sold with longtubes and catted X-pipe. It should have failed the smog inspection the previous owner did before selling you the vehicle. As for the front bumper having holes filled, they will want you to attach it to the bumper in the factory location, which means drilling into the bumper most likely.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
I don't know what you mean by "Fight it" since your vehicle was out of spec in accordance with the law. You're gonna have to either pay the tickets or fix the infractions.

oldmodman

Established Member
Find someone local that still has their stock exhaust system, "borrow" it and put it on.

License plate. Get one of the license plate kits that attaches under the bumper and doesn't require drilling. I bought mine from someone here on this site, but it was back in 2002.
Here's one, there are lots more.
About.com: http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/

Tint(s) remove them.

Go to a CHP office and get everything signed off, then go to the courthouse and pay the administrative fee. Mine was $12.00 for a missing front plate.
The only reason I bought the license plate kit was getting stopped for no front plate.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
ignorance of the law does not justify the actions. Your car has equipment deemed by your state/municipality as illegal. Expect to pay for it. Unless your parents are attorneys, there isnt much they can do to sway the judgement.

Your actions will. And ignore the comment about 'borrowing' exhaust. The next time you get a ticket, deoending on the time frame, you will get labeled as a habitual offender. Not a good thing,

Svtrobles99

Established Member
Thanks for the input. My car did pass smog though. So all I have to do is get the ticket signed by a police officer and then go to court and show the court clerk the ticket. How much would the fee be? And if I show the cop that I fixed everything and don't tell him that I didn't fix the exhaust , will he still sign it since its just one ticket with multiple infractions?

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
haha, no. There is a bit more to it than that.

Get 100% legal, THEN worry about getting your tickets reduced. Till then, quit trying to skirt the law. You will fail

MLS

Established Member
Be more specific about your exhaust ticket. Did you get marked for a modified emissions equip, or for it just being too damn loud? The ticket for modified emissions equipment ends up being around $900 if you choose not to go to the referee; not to mention you can be ticketed each time you drive the car for not having it repaired yet...(ask me how I know) So fix it fast! I would suggest you go to a pick n pull and get an entire exhaust or check in the market area, or even craigslist.

Svtrobles99

Established Member
Be more specific about your exhaust ticket. Did you get marked for a modified emissions equip, or for it just being too damn loud? The ticket for modified emissions equipment ends up being around $900 if you choose not to go to the referee; not to mention you can be ticketed each time you drive the car for not having it repaired yet...(ask me how I know) So fix it fast! I would suggest you go to a pick n pull and get an entire exhaust or check in the market area, or even craigslist.

the ticket says 27150(a)vc mod exhaust. the cop just told me that it was to loud and not to worry about any of the tickets because there just fix it tickets and don't go on my driving record.

MLS

Established Member
If you go the fix it route you will need your stock midpipe and ATLEAST carb legal shorties. I have exhaust manifolds for a B headed cobra, and possibly a factory midpipe I could sell you for a deal if you don't mind heading to Napa. Pm me if interested.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
the ticket says 27150(a)vc mod exhaust. the cop just told me that it was to loud and not to worry about any of the tickets because there just fix it tickets and don't go on my driving record.

Long tube headers are illegal in the state of california due to the emissions systems on the vehicle having to be moved or altered from their stock locations.

Remove the headers and replace them with stock manifolds or shorties approved by the state, and also replace the x-pipe with a stock h-pipe.

It sounds like you should be able to get all of the violations signed off on a single swoop once you have fixed them. Meanwhile, you are NOT supposed to be driving the vehicle at all until the infractions are fixed and verified, otherwise you run the risk of violating 24004 VC - unlawful operation after notification by peace officer.

By the way, consider yourself lucky. Pursuant to 43012 H&S, the officer could have placed a sticker covering the sign-off portion, requiring you to take your vehicle to a state referee. Much more of a hassle and $$ if your car is not stock.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
i got pulled over today and got 4 tickets. 1 for not having a front license plate, 1 for tinted windows another for having my taillights "covered" and one for my exhaust. I just bought the car a month ago and it had the holes in the bumper filled in so i couldn't put the license plate on. It also came with the exhaust. It has long tube headers,catted shorty x pipe and magnaflow catback. I know i have to take off the tint on the front windows and change my taillights but what do i do about the exhaust and front license plate? Can i show up to court and fight it by myself or with a parent since im 16?

If you are only sixteen who is the vehicle registered to? The tickets go with the vehicle.

The holes in your bumper can easily be redrilled so that is no excuse. The exhaust is illegal and it is your responsibility to prove it is not illegal or you need to change it so it complies with the law. The illegal tint on windows and tails need to be fixed so it also complies with the law.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
So you bought a car with illegal mods and think you should get a pass from the judge? I doubt you would of fixed the issues if you didn't get ticketed. But if it was your plan to do so, then it should have been done before driving around.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the input. My car did pass smog though. So all I have to do is get the ticket signed by a police officer and then go to court and show the court clerk the ticket. How much would the fee be? And if I show the cop that I fixed everything and don't tell him that I didn't fix the exhaust , will he still sign it since its just one ticket with multiple infractions?

If your car passed smog with those longtubes, the technician performed an illegal smog. The previous owner did you a disservice by selling you a vehicle that did not comply with State and Federal emissions regulations.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
If your car passed smog with those longtubes, the technician performed an illegal smog. The previous owner did you a disservice by selling you a vehicle that did not comply with State and Federal emissions regulations.

I was wondering the same...seller must have had a "buddy".

MLS

Established Member
Actually in CA to sell a car, you only need to have a smog from within the last 90 days. Though the "buddy " situation is far more likely.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The car should have never been sold with longtubes and catted X-pipe. It should have failed the smog inspection the previous owner did before selling you the vehicle. As for the front bumper having holes filled, they will want you to attach it to the bumper in the factory location, which means drilling into the bumper most likely.

there is a front license place mount that should be legal in Cali. do a search on here for no-drill license plate.

and you will have to change out the exhaust, if you get stopped again it will not go good for you.

Svtrobles99

Established Member

i bought the car from a dealer though.

Users who are viewing this thread