Help wtih Service Engine Light

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
Quick recap, I bought this 00 L on friday of last week. Saturday morning my "service engine soon" light came on so I went to Autozone to have the Codes pulled. The code I got was P0402 (EGR Excessive flow...something like that) so I replaced the EGR Valve with a new one, making sure to clean the carbon out of the engine. The L ran fine all day saturday and sunday. This morning on the way to work, I stopped to throw out some trash, left the truck idling and the service engine light was on again. :fm: I have not had a chance to pull the codes again, but if the code is P0402 (EGR ...) what could the problem be, the EGR switch... I just don't know enough about the L to know what it might be. The L has 81K miles and I doubt the I/C has ever been cleaned. Could that be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post the new code as soon as I can.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It might be the DPFE sensor, it is on the drivers side and has the two little rubber hoses going into it from the egr tube. Unless you have a bad problem it will usually take 2-300 miles or 3-4 days for the CEL to come on if it does. Good luck.

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
Thanks guys, I am not having any symptoms, the truck idles correctly and still has the same throttle response. I am not having any problems other then the MIL being on. Note: Fade... if the DPFE sensor is bad or malfunctioning, is there any severe damage that could result. I am going to get the code scanned shortly, but I am just wondering. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
I just used the odometer test and pulled DTC 5284. I have read that this is a common problem (showing the dtc code but no actual problem). Could this be causing the Service Engine Light to appear?

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
If I am having problems with my EGR Excessive flow...P0402... and have already replaced the EGR valve, would it be beneficial to drop another $50 on a new DPFE sensor? I have checked all hoses, don't see any melting or damage to hoses connecting to EGR valve or DPFE sensor.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If it is bad it shouldn't hurt anything. Mine was messed up for a month before it threw a code. I only noticed it due to a stumble at a certain rpm and speed. Just get it scanned and go from there, as long as you have a code then that is good. Trying to fix one with a problem and no code is a PITA!

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
Well I got the code scanned, it was again P0402. So I purchased a new DPFE sensor (with both Vacuum hoses) and EGR vacuum regulator. I spoke with another lightning owner who had identicle problem as mine and he had to replace his vacuum regulator ($24) not a big deal. Thanks for all the help.

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
xxsvtkidxx, are you asking me if i reset the codes after I put the EGR valve on? If that is the question then yes, I have not had a chance to put on the Vacuum regulator or the DFPE Sensor yet. Don't get off work until 5 pm and then have a class until 9. It will have to wait until morning.

00blacksvtl

Established Member
Ford had problems with dpfe sensors on all of their vehicles. It's an all too common problem. The sensor wont look bad or anything, they just short out internally. Check and see what the voltage is and that will tell you if its bad.

00LightningGSXR

Established Member
Well I replaced the DPFE sensor and the two vacuum hoses that go along with it (DFPE Sensor). I also replaced the EGR Vacuum Regulator. If I have any more problems with it, I'm going to do an EGR Delete and have the chip burned. Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread