Help with where to get power for gauges

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Sorry for the post... spent an hour searching... got frustrated and just went and metered it....
Thought I was all good but now my dome lights wont turn off... so something is wrong.

Anyway, I have installed my SOS triple pillar pod with 2 Aeroforce gauges and a cobalt boost gauge.

Aeroforce is stupid easy (all it does is plug into OBDII)

But the Cobalt is giving me trouble.
I want to tap into the headlight/ dimmer/ launch control panel for my power for the gauge and for power/ when the gauge should light (when the headlights/ parking lights are turned on)

Like I said I metered it and all seemed good (gauge lights up when lights are on) and I assume the boost gauge will work (still finishing winter mods and cant get into boost quite yet) But my damn dome lights wont turn off.... So I am thinking it doesn't like where I tapped in....
Which wires can I use for ignition power on and for when the lights are on USING THE HEADLIGHT/ DIMMER CONTROL AREA?

Thanks

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It's been a while since my dash was open to install my gauges but, IIRC, we tapped illumination power from a purple wire on the back of the light switch. It allows me to dim the gauges with the same dimmer used for the rest of the dash (while maintaining normal dome light function).

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
6CJE7_AS01.JPG
I use a add a fuse, you can find them at auto zone. i found a fuse on the passenger side fuse panel that only worked with key on power. that will work for your power. just use a test light to make sure its the right fuse.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
View attachment 33918
I use a add a fuse, you can find them at auto zone. i found a fuse on the passenger side fuse panel that only worked with key on power. that will work for your power. just use a test light to make sure its the right fuse.

That's what I have always done... and all my mustangs had fuse boxes on the DS...
Dont see the point in adding wire and going from DS to PS when it's all right there.
Ya know?

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
It's been a while since my dash was open to install my gauges but, IIRC, we tapped illumination power from a purple wire on the back of the light switch. It allows me to dim the gauges with the same dimmer used for the rest of the dash (while maintaining normal dome light function).

Was it on the dimmer switch plug or the headlight plug?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Was it on the dimmer switch plug or the headlight plug?
Ironically, I recall it being on the larger, white headlight plug. I don't remember connecting anything to the smaller, black dimmer plug.

I think I had 3 power-related wires (red, white, and black) on each gauge. The white ones tapped into the light switch's purple wire and the red ones tapped into the passenger side fuse block, as described by 2011 gtcs. (Sorry, it's been too long since I looked at all of it...)

Last edited:

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Ironically, I recall it being on the larger, white headlight plug. I don't remember connecting anything to the smaller, black dimmer plug.

I think I had 3 power-related wires (red, white, and black) on each gauge. The white ones tapped into the light switch's purple wire and the red ones tapped into the passenger side fuse block, as described by 2011 gtcs. (Sorry, it's been too long since I looked at all of it...)
Thanks.
Anyone else wanna give some input? (Where is the guy who always chimes in with every pdf of everything?)

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Autometer has a YouTube video for gauge install on mustang gt. Do search on YouTube.

[video=youtube_share;esdSIpgdQ1M]http://youtu.be/esdSIpgdQ1M[/video]

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

I ran gauge power from the fuse box in the passenger foot well using an add a fuse from an empty ignition switched 12V slot. Ground is self explanatory. I tapped off the purple/white wire on the back of the dash light switch (shown in the install video above at minute 2:35) for lighting power. There are two purple/white wires, so just put a volt meter on the one and use the dimmer switch to watch it lower and raise voltage. Works perfect. Gauge lights come on with head lights and can be dimmed using the dash dimmer.

Last edited:

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Autometer has a YouTube video for gauge install on mustang gt. Do search on YouTube.

[video=youtube_share;esdSIpgdQ1M]http://youtu.be/esdSIpgdQ1M[/video]

I ran gauge power from the fuse box in the passenger foot well using an add a fuse from an empty ignition switched 12V slot. Ground is self explanatory. I tapped off the purple/white wire on the back of the dash light switch (shown in the install video above at minute 2:35) for lighting power. There are two purple/white wires, so just put a volt meter on the one and use the dimmer switch to watch it lower and raise voltage. Works perfect. Gauge lights come on with head lights and can be dimmed using the dash dimmer.

Thanks.
This is exactly what I needed

Users who are viewing this thread