Help with valve lash adjustment on stock 5.0

nikkodnp

Established Member
I recently (a few hours ago) finished a valve lash adjustment on my 1989 Mustang LX. All the mods to the engine are a 1993 Cobra intake (upper/lower). The heads, rocker arms, pushrods, lifters etc are all stock. I decided to tighten the valve train up after hearing some ticking at idle when warm.

I proceeded to tackle the job. Removing the fan and fan shroud to gain access to the crank pulley. Took off the intake and valve covers to uncover the heads. I followed the firing order (13726548) and the EOIC method to torque each bolt down to ~ 25 ft/lbs while the engine was cold. I then did a double check, turning the motor over until each valve was torqued again.

After putting everything back on i started the motor and a loud knocking began. I let it run for about 45 seconds before deciding to turn it off. A second time i ran it again for about 30 seconds with the valve cover off, this time a little quieter, and again shut it off. Is this normal for hydraulic lifters after a valve lash adjustment?

Is there something i should have done correctly? Do the lifters need to be pumped up with the oil at operating temp?

any input is appreciated.

nikkodnp

Established Member
Thanks for the help forum members.
After two times of removing the covers and re-doing the job, i was left at the same conclusion of the engine still ticking after starting it up.
Finally on the last time, the third time, i decided to torque everything down and let it run for a few seconds again -- yet it still made the noise.
I let it hang out in the garage untouched after that to keep researching what was going on.

The next day i fired it up and it still did the same thing. After about 3 minutes i let it keep running and slowly the ticking went away. From what i've read this time gap was the lifters pumping up. As the oil gets to operating temperature the lifter gets oil through the pushrods and does its job as a hydraulic lifter.

Users who are viewing this thread