Help with Upper/Lower control arms and Torque boxes (due to more HP)

Alysiak00

Established Member
Hey all, looking to get some help with what I should do about my new build. I'm about to get the car back from the tuner and it is gonna be around 550rwhp. Im worried about putting new control arms on the rear as well as not having any torque box upgrades as i dont want to cause any damage. The TQ boxes look fine now but the car only had 350rwhp before. The car is simply a weekend street car, no track time whatsoever and it might see a drag strip (with street tires) in the next year or so. should I not worry about it or spend the enormous money and upgrade? Shop said the torque boxes would be about $1000 to reinforce and i was thinking some sr performance control arms (mainly for the new bushings). Thanks for the heads up

thumper

Established Member
$1000 ?!! What are they doing, building you a back halved car. I gave I think $90 for the reinforcement plates, me and buddy welded them in one Saturday. It would be a good idea to at least weld them up even on a street car with any kind of horsepower.

Alysiak00

Established Member
I think the quote was so high because its already at their shop and they would have to remove the interior

thumper

Established Member
You may be fine, but I had a stock fox body rip a lower box out once upon a time.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
you're fine with only 550rwhp- save your money

+1 with the guy that has ahot ass in the avatar.

OP- as long as you don't put a sticky tire on it and go to the strip you'll be fine. And even then, 1 outing won't rip a box. You'll crap the rear before your boxes (assuming your rear end is stock).

Granted I'm not at 550rwhp but I have over 400 passes on my setup on slicks and my stock boxes were just reinforced with a bead all the way around them. That and I had the axle tubes welded.

-Mark

AMWill

Hey all, looking to get some help with what I should do about my new build. I'm about to get the car back from the tuner and it is gonna be around 550rwhp. Im worried about putting new control arms on the rear as well as not having any torque box upgrades as i dont want to cause any damage. The TQ boxes look fine now but the car only had 350rwhp before. The car is simply a weekend street car, no track time whatsoever and it might see a drag strip (with street tires) in the next year or so. should I not worry about it or spend the enormous money and upgrade? Shop said the torque boxes would be about $1000 to reinforce and i was thinking some sr performance control arms (mainly for the new bushings). Thanks for the heads up

Hey Alysiak,

Looks like you're going to be making some awesome power!

Now, the problem is getting it all to the ground :D

The SR Performance Complete Rear Control Arm Kit is an awesome setup and will definitely help you put the power down.

There is a slew of control arms out and I don't have much negative to say about any of the ones that we sell but in regards to bang for your buck, you can't beat SR and that is why I run them personally.

Even though you're not going to be taking the car to the track, I feel as if these will really help you when you let her gallop!

I hope this helps and feel free to reach out with any questions!

-Will

OW99

Established Member
1000 bucks is insane. I got mine for 75 bucks and taking the back seats and back interior pieces will take only a few minutes. I haven't done the job yet but it definitely will not take long. Unless the shop charges 2-300 an hour lol

Users who are viewing this thread