help with track times in 1/8th

ssblubyyou

Established Member
I took my 03 Cobra to the 1/8th last night for the first time and was a little disappointed to be honest. Help point me in the right direction. I ran 7.31 @ 100.09 1.78 60ft 1st pass. followed by a 7.25 @ 99.25 1.74 60ft. Runs were 20 minutes apart. I was expecting to trap a little higher and at least be in the high 6's. This was my first time out on ET drags/ skinnies (28x10.50x15 stiff walls). 17 psi first pass spinning through 1st, 15 psi on 2nd pass leaving off MSD 2 step at 3500 rpm. The car is supposed to make 660's on E-85, it's a Whipple 2.3 making 18# of boost. SRA swap car w/ 3:73 and steeda lowering springs...not the best drag suspension.

What gives....I think my my 60ft times suck, my mph sucks, and et's suck. What do I need to do. I honestly thought I could leave at a much higher rpm and hook. I was thinking about drag shocks/ springs, k-member to help it transfer and leave harder. Overall I'm just not pleased with how it ran. As the night went on I made about 5 more passes but it was getting heat soaked and running 7.4's @96-97 mph. I just called it a night at that point.

Soap

Established Member
You are running way too much air in those tires. Should be like 10-11psi (hot) and adjust accordingly.

Do you have video of the passes? You are right your short times stink, you can get into the 6's easily by just working on your 60'. Also 100 in the 1/8 is not bad, that should be 130+/- in the 1/4.

Is your car a manual? You will leave a lot on the table by not power shifting.

--Joe

ssblubyyou

Established Member
yes the car is a manual w/ upgrade 26 spline shaft. I guess next time I will hit it with 10-11 psi and and a higher launch rpm. I was hoping for at least 1.40's short times.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I always ran 12lbs in passenger rear tire and 10 lbs in drivers side. Always ran all my cars that because when you come off the line watch all cars they they lift the left front tire first making the chassis twist and putting more pressure and weight on the right rear tire so you want more air to make up for the added pressure. If any of that made sense to anyone great if not I’m half asleep

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ssblubyyou

Established Member
Yeah. That makes very good sense. However I don’t expect to pull the wheel/ wheels ... maybe I’m wrong and it will at a lower psi though.

Users who are viewing this thread