Help With Timeslip 03 Cobra IRS/6SPD whipple car

Ukfox89

Established Member
Hey guys

Goal for this car is [email protected] with IRS/6SPD stock motor with 2.9 whipple. car makes plenty of power, mid 700s to the tire. has hoosier quick time pro 27" tall and stock 3:55 gears. Was launching the car at 4k rpm slipping the clutch out, has a McCloud twin disk 26 spline setup.

Times I would launch it hard, it seemed to unload and blow the tires off, I know my shifting could do with some work, but my 60' doesn't seem to bad, but my 1/8 mile ET seems a lot slower than other cars with similar 60's and 1/4 mph. looking at other slip, seems like I have enough mph to run my 9 second slip, just got to work out my 1/8 mile and shift it harder.

10835105_10155274824455484_134993427075129555_o_zpsyvzepwej.gif

Lycosa

Established Member
You know hat they say, practice makes perfect. My goals are 11's in a pullied cobra. Good luck!

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Leave harder a higher rpm, and try not to ride the clutch out so much, You need to get into the high 1.4x or low 1.5x to get that 9 sec slip. Ive been in the 1.4x on a 26 et street. Your mph is there

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Leave harder a higher rpm, and try not to ride the clutch out so much, You need to get into the high 1.4x or low 1.5x to get that 9 sec slip. Ive been in the 1.4x on a 26 et street. Your mph is there

+1. Everything is there with the exception of your 60'. I would work on your launch. If you get your 60' down with everything else staying the same, you'll have your 9 second slip.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
By the way, if you don't have the FTBR bushing kit yet, get it. Over the years I've noted that the fastest IRS cars have IRS bushings. Even the MM will be better than stock but I like the FTBR more.

black-plasma

Established Member
1.6 60' is really holding you back. I have same the setup as you but run Hoosier 28" slicks on a 16" Bogart. Even with H&R Race springs I was cutting 1.4 60's and not launching over 4k. Other then that, just keep practicing.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
By the way, if you don't have the FTBR bushing kit yet, get it. Over the years I've noted that the fastest IRS cars have IRS bushings. Even the MM will be better than stock but I like the FTBR more.

Funny you say that because, the fastest IRS/6Speed cobra is still on the stock bushings.

Zemedici

Established Member

this. car's making it up on the back 1/2 and then some, just work on the first 60' and you're golden.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
My setup is very simple i even run stock shocks and H & R race springs...What air pressure are you running? I run 12.5 to 14 depending on how the track is hooking

black-plasma

Established Member
Doesn't take away to what he's accomplished on the stock IRS ;-)

I'm not saying it does. That car was capable of much more but it's a poor example to use to try and validate a stock IRS since he never drove it.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
My car has been 9.82 on stock bushings, only mods to IRS are MM front/rear diff bushings, 3.73's, billetflow IRS brace, and older HBH shocks from 2004 sold by Horsepower by Herman.

To the OP, I think you need to drive the car harder, the 60ft will come down, and the rest will follow, it takes seat time. If you get tired of spinning either buy some 26" ET Drag stiffwalls, or get some 3.73's, with 28" ET Drag stiffwalls, your car has the power the utilize either. The stiffwall ET Drag is IMOP the most superior tire out there. When you can hammer 1.4's on a rather "stockish" IRS in the 1.46-1.47 area they work good.

Ukfox89

Established Member
Update: new personal best was

[email protected] with a 1.58 60'

Have since upgraded the car with ftbr bushings and Installed a 2 step. Nervous about using the 2 step and being too aggressive with it. Can run the car consistently in the mid 10s but haven't managed to go any faster.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
I dont think the McLeod TD clutch grabs the way it needs to in 1st gear like the other clutches, I do believe it slips! My car with the Mcleod doesn't 60ft well! You're going to need a 1.4 something to get into the 9's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread