Help with Strut Tower Brace Info

DaveSVT03

Established Member
I just talked to the Steeda folks and they now have a strut tower brace for the 03 Cobra. It costs $99. It appears to only go between the struts and not back to the firewall. It also requires holes to be drilled in the strut tower. Anyone have opinions on this?

Does the Kenny Brown brace go to the firewall?

Does going to the firewall add much vs not?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave

Goldy

Established Member
Having a strut tower brace which attaches to the firewall (triangular in shape) will be much stronger than one which does not.

Kenny Brown offers a strut tower brace for the '03. The link below shows it in my '03 convertible:

http://www.indysvtoa.com/kb_shocktower.shtml

Installing the Kenny Brown strut tower brace will require holes to be drilled into the firewall, but not into the strut towers; the brace attaches to the strut tower braces between the strut caster/camber plates and the strut tower. With this said, the car may need to be re-aligned after installing the brace. This would also be a good time to add caster/camber plates. The pic of my car in the link shows the strut tower brace with the Kenny Brown Caster Plus plates.

Good Luck.

Howard

03blackvert

Established Member
I can't tell for sure, but aren't the Kenny Brown CC plates the 3 bolt design? I'm a big believer in MM's 4 bot design, and I'm not sure if they would work with the Kenny Brown brace due to how it mounts.

Goldy

Established Member
The Kenny Brown Caster plus plates are a three (3) hole design; they mount using the same mounting points (holes in the strut tower) as do the stock plates. (Do you have to drill an additional hole into the strut tower to use the MM plates?)

The Kenny Brown plates have a fixed caster setting, which provides for maximum caster (I do not know the degrees). From what I've read and been told, it is very difficult to add to much caster of a Mustang unless you start cutting excessive amounts of sheet metal in the strut tower.

Howard

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Goldy
The Kenny Brown Caster plus plates are a three (3) hole design; they mount using the same mounting points (holes in the strut tower) as do the stock plates. (Do you have to drill an additional hole into the strut tower to use the MM plates?)

The Kenny Brown plates have a fixed caster setting, which provides for maximum caster (I do not know the degrees). From what I've read and been told, it is very difficult to add to much caster of a Mustang unless you start cutting excessive amounts of sheet metal in the strut tower.

Howard

Please. The KB fixed caster is a joke. Same price, half the function!!

Goldy

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Please. The KB fixed caster is a joke. Same price, half the function!!

I understand that as caster is added, 'turn-in' becomes more responsive. Additionally, more caster provides for less camber in the turns, increasing 'tire patch to road' contact area, allowing for better front-end grip.

With that said, why would you want to adjust the caster to anything other than the maximum available? I suppose the car can become too 'twitchy' with way too much caster, but I understand that is not possible unless the strut tower brace itself is modified.

Try'n to learn...

Howard

Last edited:

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Thanks all,

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward the KB. I can't find their price on the website for the KB 03 STB. The Steeda is $99 and I think the KB is $199 - damn money......

Users who are viewing this thread