Help with state inspection/not ready

toennee

Established Member
call Pro Dyno and have a real tune written.

Cannot believe BAMA is still in business in 2018....if I had a dollar for every Bama tuned car that came in and wouldn't pass emissions....

My plan is to goto Pro Dyno once I have everything on the car. I have collected a stack of parts and was just hoping to get it through the inspection so I could take my time. If this keeps up I will need to speed up the work.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It had basic bolt ons: 2.6 upper pully, JLT intake, BBK long tube headers, off road x, and Magnaflo axle back.
I have BBK long tubes and high flow cats.
My bad.
I read in your original post that you had an off road x. (I "assumed" that meant off road x pipe.)
Good luck man! I hope you get it fixed ASAP. Let us know how you make out.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Cannot believe BAMA is still in business in 2018....if I had a dollar for every Bama tuned car that came in and wouldn't pass emissions....
Yep. They couldn't figure mine out with just a CAI and 3" mid pipe after cat with the stock cats on. Finally after 4 attempts they got me to their "lead calibrator". He failed twice and I gave up, and put it all back to stock including the tune and it set the monitors ready in I'd say 40 miles if that.

They are emailing me my 4th tune now, wish me luck!!!!!

I don't want to sound like a d1ck but I guarantee it won't pass. Want to bet a case of beer?

blue 07

Established Member
OP, if you continue having issues, then try and find a tuner in your area who is familiar with these emissions issues. I bought my Roush 'Hammer' last year and had same issues. The tune had some components turned off.

Most aggravating thing was taking it to local Mustang race shop, where they build and tune MUSTANGS all day, every day, and they were no help at all. The guy told me to keep driving to reset the monitors. Well, I drove a few hundred miles and no joy, and believe me, I was panicking at that point. My registration was about to be cancelled by my fooking state because I had not passed the emissions test. So I ditched that guy like a hot potato.

Luckily, I found a guy about 100 miles from me, Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire. He's a nice guy and he immediately calmed me down. He's been tuning for a lot of years and about 10 years ago he saw this issue becoming so prevalent that he actually SPECIALIZES in it, which was exactly what I wanted to hear. Anyway, my panic levels came down and I started taking much less Xanax than before, LOL. I trailered my car up to see Pete and he found the problems within 10 minutes. A few hours later, I had brand new 'emissions' tune, and he saved my original 'power' tune on a new SCT X4 device. It then took me less than 40 miles of drive cycles to get ALL monitors reset and I passed through emissions test with flying colors!

EDIT: my state (Rhode Island) allows one monitor to be "not ready" and still pass emissions.

I was so fooking happy, I even snapped a pic of the damn sticker, haha:
View attachment 1472769
Pete is the man ! He does all my tuning and he is the one that found out that there was no emissions in the tune. He rewrote the tune adding in the emissions. He knows his stuff.

toennee

Established Member
Pete is the man ! He does all my tuning and he is the one that found out that there was no emissions in the tune. He rewrote the tune adding in the emissions. He knows his stuff.

That might be who I need to talk to. Message me with his info.

blue 07

Established Member
That might be who I need to talk to. Message me with his info.
Just an FYI for you, if you leave a message and you don't get a reply, he's out on his other job and will get back to you. He gets real busy in April so more likely to find him in is shop then.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
You ever get it figured out OP?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

toennee

Established Member
Nothing yet, I have sent 2 messages to Pete. While I wait I have been working BAMA. They want me to data log but I have been having a hard time getting it to load.

SVTag

Established Member
Anyone know if you can log the ready monitors in livewire? I’m in the same boat, but wouldn’t rather be able to monitor this myself instead of taking the car to the inspection shop every 50 miles of driving.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Anyone know if you can log the ready monitors in livewire? I’m in the same boat, but wouldn’t rather be able to monitor this myself instead of taking the car to the inspection shop every 50 miles of driving.

If you're asking about checking monitor readiness, then my comments below may help:

From my research I have found that after you turn ignition to ON position (without turning on the engine), wait there for 15secs and if the check engine light stays solid then all monitors are ready if it blink 8 times then they are not ready. BUT you won't know how many, or which ones, are not ready. Many states allow you to pass emissions with one monitor 'not ready'.

A better option is this............. buy your own scanner that shows monitor readiness. I looked around and found this YouTube video showing OBD scanner (from Harbor Freight) for only $55, and the guy is using it to check readiness status of his monitors. If you start looking at 2:45 of the video, you can see the screen where it shows two of his monitors with red X, showing not ready.

I'm surprised there is an OBD scanner available that will read individual monitor status for so cheap. There are likely others too then. Good info to know, especially since I paid $500 for mine, LOL, but mine is laptop based and will do quite a bit. Lots of guys with aftermarket tunes are having these annoying "not ready" issues, and some tuners are ill-equipped to address the problem.....

SVTag

Established Member
Yep you can actually get similar scanners for cheaper on Amazon. I just was trying to avoid it if the X4 could do it...I did find some data points that I think can be logged to show ready status (0 for no, 1 for yes).

I’ll try to verify and update here with findings.

toennee

Established Member
Ok so today after putting my 5th Bama tune on the car I finally got all but 1 of my monitors to set. The last tune was basicly a stock tune and my car ran like crap if I got on it at all. So once I get it inspected I can put my old tune on it until next year.

Users who are viewing this thread