Help with state inspection/not ready

toennee

Established Member
So to make a long story short last year I bought an 08 GT500 from Texas and had it shipped to North Carolina where I live. It had basic bolt ons: 2.6 upper pully, JLT intake, BBK long tube headers, off road x, and Magnaflo axle back. It had an unknown tune on it but I suspect Bama. I put a set of BBK high flow cats on it because I knew I would need them for the visual inspection. So this takes me to where I took it in to be inspected. All 3 o2 sensors showed not ready. I had not disconected the battery and had put about 1000 miles on it so I suspected it was in the tune. I buy a Bama X4 with tunes for life from AM and they send me a tune for my modifications. I drive it almost 200 miles and still have the same problem plus EGR is not ready now. I noticed when using a scan tool the cat monitors are not even showing up so after 2 phone calls and 2 more tunes they now show up on a scan tool. I have now driven the car 125 miles making sure to follow the drive cycle that shoud set everything to ready. I still have all o2s and EGR not ready. I have driven it normal, hard, and as easy as I can and still no luck. I was hoping someone would have an idea. I have no codes and no pending codes. I have heard the headers could be causing the problem and restricting the exhaust could help but I havent tried it yet.

toennee

Established Member
upload_2018-3-3_17-39-38.png
I put another 25 miles on it today and everything is still the same. I was hoping someone would have some insight on this.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
They'll never figure it out. You're either going to have to go back to stock completely (I highly doubt you're going this route) or get a tuner that knows what they're doing. That's going to be your choices. Believe me, I've been through it

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
They'll never figure it out. You're either going to have to go back to stock completely (I highly doubt you're going this route) or get a tuner that knows what they're doing. That's going to be your choices. Believe me, I've been through it
I agree.
There were some threads about this on this forum somewhere. Not too long ago too.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
So to make a long story short last year I bought an 08 GT500 from Texas and had it shipped to North Carolina where I live. It had basic bolt ons: 2.6 upper pully, JLT intake, BBK long tube headers, off road x, and Magnaflo axle back. It had an unknown tune on it but I suspect Bama. I put a set of BBK high flow cats on it because I knew I would need them for the visual inspection. So this takes me to where I took it in to be inspected. All 3 o2 sensors showed not ready. I had not disconected the battery and had put about 1000 miles on it so I suspected it was in the tune. I buy a Bama X4 with tunes for life from AM and they send me a tune for my modifications. I drive it almost 200 miles and still have the same problem plus EGR is not ready now. I noticed when using a scan tool the cat monitors are not even showing up so after 2 phone calls and 2 more tunes they now show up on a scan tool. I have now driven the car 125 miles making sure to follow the drive cycle that shoud set everything to ready. I still have all o2s and EGR not ready. I have driven it normal, hard, and as easy as I can and still no luck. I was hoping someone would have an idea. I have no codes and no pending codes. I have heard the headers could be causing the problem and restricting the exhaust could help but I havent tried it yet.

You only need fuel trims to be off > 15 pct for this to show your front O2s as not ready. The EGR is what it is, if it's "on" in the tune it'll find it's way to correct if everything else is good.

You won't pass with an off road pipe. Even if it's just the rears being ''off'', you're going to get a catalyst not ready code.

Make sure the fuel trims are correct. You can log it yourself and see.

cobra1961

Established Member
Mine did same thing I believe the tuner tuned off monitors for emissions a lot of tuners do that so I bought a used pcm stock had to clear keep alive memory and anti theft for keys took like 15 min of driving and I passed you need someone that has I d s ford software to do this, then went home connected my dyno pcm

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cobra1961

Established Member
Mine did same thing I believe the tuner tuned off monitors for emissions a lot of tuners do that so I bought a used pcm stock had to clear keep alive memory and anti theft for keys took like 15 min of driving and I passed you need someone that has I d s ford software to do this, then went home connected my dyno pcm

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I did this to pass and not pay tuner again kept my pcm that is dyno did not want to lose hp

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

toennee

Established Member
Works been busy and only put about 30 more miles on it yesterday and none today. I'm going to call again tomorrow and hope they find something in the tune. Thanks everyone for the input and will keep everyone posted on what I end up finding.

blue 07

Established Member
Went through the same nightmare as you did last year with my 13 GT500.Before you go any farther with driving and wasting miles, check to see if the emissions are in the tune itself. Many times that is the issue. My tune had to be rewritten with the acceptable codes in it before it would ever pass. When it was redone, passed with no issues.

toennee

Established Member
I have been sent 3 tunes so far and have been told on the last 2 everything had been turned on for emissions but I am doubting it as I have driven over 250 miles and still not ready. I am hoping to find time tomorrow to call and have it checked again.

Went through the same nightmare as you did last year with my 13 GT500.Before you go any farther with driving and wasting miles, check to see if the emissions are in the tune itself. Many times that is the issue. My tune had to be rewritten with the acceptable codes in it before it would ever pass. When it was redone, passed with no issues.

Zemedici

Established Member
call Pro Dyno and have a real tune written.

Cannot believe BAMA is still in business in 2018....if I had a dollar for every Bama tuned car that came in and wouldn't pass emissions....

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
OP, if you continue having issues, then try and find a tuner in your area who is familiar with these emissions issues. I bought my Roush 'Hammer' last year and had same issues. The tune had some components turned off.

Most aggravating thing was taking it to local Mustang race shop, where they build and tune MUSTANGS all day, every day, and they were no help at all. The guy told me to keep driving to reset the monitors. Well, I drove a few hundred miles and no joy, and believe me, I was panicking at that point. My registration was about to be cancelled by my fooking state because I had not passed the emissions test. So I ditched that guy like a hot potato.

Luckily, I found a guy about 100 miles from me, Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire. He's a nice guy and he immediately calmed me down. He's been tuning for a lot of years and about 10 years ago he saw this issue becoming so prevalent that he actually SPECIALIZES in it, which was exactly what I wanted to hear. Anyway, my panic levels came down and I started taking much less Xanax than before, LOL. I trailered my car up to see Pete and he found the problems within 10 minutes. A few hours later, I had brand new 'emissions' tune, and he saved my original 'power' tune on a new SCT X4 device. It then took me less than 40 miles of drive cycles to get ALL monitors reset and I passed through emissions test with flying colors!

EDIT: my state (Rhode Island) allows one monitor to be "not ready" and still pass emissions.

I was so fooking happy, I even snapped a pic of the damn sticker, haha:
InspectionSticker.jpg

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
FYI: you are allowed (in MA at least) to have one sensor "not ready" when getting a state inspection.

Edited my post above to reflect same. RI also allows one monitor "not ready".

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
OP, if you continue having issues, then try and find a tuner in your area who is familiar with these emissions issues. I bought my Roush 'Hammer' last year and had same issues. The tune had some components turned off.

Most aggravating thing was taking it to local Mustang race shop, where they build and tune MUSTANGS all day, every day, and they were no help at all. The guy told me to keep driving to reset the monitors. Well, I drove a few hundred miles and no joy, and believe me, I was panicking at that point. My registration was about to be cancelled by my fooking state because I had not passed the emissions test. So I ditched that guy like a hot potato.

Luckily, I found a guy about 100 miles from me, Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire. He's a nice guy and he immediately calmed me down. He's been tuning for a lot of years and about 10 years ago he saw this issue becoming so prevalent that he actually SPECIALIZES in it, which was exactly what I wanted to hear. Anyway, my panic levels came down and I started taking much less Xanax than before, LOL. I trailered my car up to see Pete and he found the problems within 10 minutes. A few hours later, I had brand new 'emissions' tune, and he saved my original 'power' tune on a new SCT X4 device. It then took me less than 40 miles of drive cycles to get ALL monitors reset and I passed through emissions test with flying colors!

EDIT: my state (Rhode Island) allows one monitor to be "not ready" and still pass emissions.

I was so fooking happy, I even snapped a pic of the damn sticker, haha:
View attachment 1472769

Pete for the win!

Users who are viewing this thread