Help with RUBBING

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
I was very excited to get these new Forgestar wheels. They are a 20x9.5 with 29 offset recommended by a very reputable Mustang guy. I have not gotten to discuss this with him yet as I have to wait until Monday but I need some help. The tires are MPSS 285/35/20. The car is dropped on Steeda Sport springs.

Here's the issue. The tears rub when I hit bumps because they stick out. The fronts rubbed once.

Here are the photos. What options do you guys see?

Thanks in advance!
1910a2b7c531822ae02806de8b3b77b9.jpg
b0d47298b859054adafb5e071ccb7535.jpg
fa6e689760abab2b3a099cd1046f89ae.jpg

4.SLOW

Established Member
I don't really have a solution for you. All I know is that the optimal offset for that size wheel is really +35. Don't know what you can do about it though. Maybe get the guy to replace them?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
RTR's are +33 and that is too much for some people. I don't know of a lot of options you have other than drive carefully or sell 'em and get different wheels.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I need to sleep ><

Yes, I meant +33 sticks out too aggressively for some. It's pretty flush but will rub if the back axle isn't perfectly centered and you're lowered.

Last edited:

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
It sounds like a +35 would probably just barley be inside the wheel well then! Just where I want it

Last edited:

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
Just got an email back on Saturday from the gentleman that helped me. Very kind to respond on the weekend. Was told the MPSS in 285 are the problem because they are wider. Very sad to hear I had informed his person I would be buying MPSS and wanted 285s... Very frustrating. Anyone interested in purchasing MPSS with less than 100 miles?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I wouldn't want to shortchange myself with narrow rubber... if it were me, I'd sell the wheels and get the right ones. Or change out the springs.

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
I guess the problem I'm told is to clear the 6 piston brembos the 35 offset won't work. Has anyone had experience to show that to be true? They are cf10s btw
fe532ee1378421590e5de60f57ceb5f5.jpg

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
Have you guys heard about the MPSS being a lot wider than other tires? I'm told to go down to a 265 35 20 now. Thoughts?

jp1seattle

Established Member
I have heard the MPSS run wider. I have Nittos and they seem to run smaller.

That being said, I would definitely consider going with the 265 in front if I were you. I put on 275 NT05 on the front and could have definitely gone with the 265 instead.

I have 305 NT555R on the back and I haven't noticed any rubbing yet. This is with Velgens +45 offset though.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Yes, I have 1st hand knowledge of MPSS being MUCH wider than other brands. When I bought my 20x10.5 ET45 wheels, I was promised by a very well-respected wheel vendor that the 305/30/20 PSS would fit without rubbing because other 305s worked fine according to him. Well that wasn't correct so I had to downsize to the 295/30/20, which still has a treadwidth (11.5") that is wider than most people's 305 and even 315s.

I would definitely try to see if Forgestar is ok with you milling a few mm off the hub. Maybe you can take some measurements with a ruler and a plumb-bob off your fenders to see how much you need to bring the tires in to avoid rubbing.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Why don't you just buy some strange engineering adjustable shocks or koni yellow adjustables so you don't rub on bumps? I run a 305 tire and if I didn't have stiffer suspension all the way around I would rub badly. My tire sticks out just enough to eat the fender on big dips in the roads here. I don't even worry about it with this setup.

Jake Pranckun

JP3
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I did end up having 6mm milled off the inside of the hub. This helps a lot with the rear but the front actually rubs more somehow!!! I tried talking with Michelin and their customer service is horrible. I don't know how they can get away with their tires being so much wider!! I think I'm going to go down to a 265 or 275 on the front and milk out the back. Someone mentioned using konis. I have koni yellows so maybe I'll just go real stiff for now.

Thanks a lot!

noldevin

Established Member
I tried talking with Michelin and their customer service is horrible. I don't know how they can get away with their tires being so much wider!!
Tires running wide or narrow is pretty common in the tire world. None of them are held to any real standard so they can pretty much do what they want.
I ran into the same problem with being told that CF10s require less offset up front to fit Brembos. I think if you went with a 10" wheel you'd have better fitment (10" is ideal for a 285), but it looks like you're set on those wheels.
285/35/20 is also pretty darn tall for a front tire (equivalent to a 285/40/19, which is a full inch taller than stock) I'd try to figure out where it's rubbing (look for marks) and determine exactly how much room you need before buying anything else.

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
dude I've gone through this whole thing. Mill material off the hub, widen to stretch the tires in, swap tires... I have enough time and money invested trying to make the wrong wheels work that I could have just done a new custom set from the start. Nothing looks worse than a modded car with wheels that don't fit right...

You know what you should do...

Users who are viewing this thread