Help With Pinging On A 95

Wicked65

Established Member
I have a 95 GT and for the past couple months i have been trying to find why its pinging. And since i cant, i figured id see if others had the problem i am. First ill tell you thing things i have changed or tested on the car.

MSD Wires
NGK Plugs
MSD Cap And Rotor
Aeromotive Fuel Regulator
255lph Fuel Pump
Fuel pressure is set a touch high at 42 right now.

And cleaned every sensor and valve from the intake to the mass air meter.

The car will drive great, accelerate hard and drive like a beast. Then 10sec later, when i get on it, will ping like crazy. There is just no telling when it will do it.
My chilton says there is only a couple things left that can cause pinging
Timing advance malfunction, or EGR. But i thought id ask since you guys have had 94-95's longer then me. PLEASE HELP... THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
My friends 95gt does this to, he puts 91 in it and still does it occasionally. Only thing I can thing of its a combination of the plugs and timing. No offense, but why do you have NGK plugs in your car? Why not motocraft....a buddy of mine has a 03 and put NGK plugs in his car and melted the 6 piston. Why put NGK (import brand plug) into a ford. That's like a civic putting motocraft plugs in his. I would stick with Autolite and motocraft.

Last edited:

Wicked65

Established Member
NGK being a import plug is just about one of the most common misconceptions ever. Yes Import guys use them, but they are really good plugs. If i remember right, some of the exotics use them as well, high end cars?? But hey, maybe thats just not good enough. And, it was pinging before all the mods (stock plugs, wires, cap, rotor..ect..) Pinged just as bad with all the autolight stuff. ANd saying a plug cause melting of a piston.. thats a stretch. Thats a A/F problem, or nitrous issue. Pistons dont just melt.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
The piston melted cause of the plug, all the other pistons were on there way out, he gaped them the same as his old motorcrafts. I'm just telling you what I think, opinion. Maybe there is a hot deposit on one of your pistons that is causing that to ignite the fuel. I'm just throwing out possibilities.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
ive seen the distributor cause it many times... if its got several miles on it. replace the stator in the dist. ive been told by many people that the 94-95's do it anyways.... ive never heard it. but a ASSET tech at the dealship put all kinds of crap on his 95 GT trying to fix it.. timing was ok, new platnium motorcraft plugs... we finally drove it in his head to replace the stator, he put a new dist. in and it fixed it (and runs alot better too) may wanna look into that

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
try seafoam, you could have a lot of carbon buildup. if you could get it to ping with a datalogger of some sort, youd be able to get some tips. any dynos in your area?

Users who are viewing this thread