Help with p0340 code

dmaxxx

Established Member
My car has been running really rich and fouled the plugs really fast, has black smoke when revving and smells like fuel, also will stumble a few sec after starting warm or cold. So I checked for codes and it has the camshaft position sensor p0340 code but no check engine light, has anyone had this problem? Also where is this sensor located?

hotcobra03

Established Member
My car has been running really rich and fouled the plugs really fast, has black smoke when revving and smells like fuel, also will stumble a few sec after starting warm or cold. So I checked for codes and it has the camshaft position sensor p0340 code but no check engine light, has anyone had this problem? Also where is this sensor located?

located on drivers side front engine cover,behind power steering fluid tank..

was any work done on car recently..or cam gear change?

hotcobra03

Established Member
some reading..lucky i was in pc to post..

P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1) The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor on Bank 1.
  • CMP circuit open
  • CMP circuit short to GND
  • CMP circuit short to PWR
  • SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
  • CMP GND open (Hall effect sensor)
  • CMP misinstalled (Hall effect sensor)
  • Damaged CMP sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP sensor
  • Damaged PCM
Harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have intermittent impact on the CMP signal.

hotcobra03

Established Member
2003 PCED OBDII
SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
DR: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
V32~us~en~file=arrowbak.gif~gen~ref.gif
DR: Introduction
DR1 DTC P0340, P0345: CHECK IF ENGINE WILL START
  • Attempt to start engine.
Will the engine start?
Yes No
GO to DR2 . DTC P0340 or P0345 is not the cause of the No Start. GO to Section 3 to diagnose the No Start symptom.

DR2 CHECK CMP SIGNAL SENT TO PCM
  • Engine running.
  • Connect scan tool.
  • Select CMPFM and if present CMPFM2 PID(s).
Is a fault indicated with either or both CMP sensors?
Yes No
Individually diagnose CMP sensor(s) indicating a fault. GO to DR3 . CMP, PCM and harness(es) working properly at this time. Concern is intermittent. GO to Z1 .

DR3 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO RE-GENERATE CONTINUOUS DTC P0340, P0345
  • Complete PCM Reset to clear DTCs.
  • Increase RPM to greater than 1500 for 10 seconds. Repeat twice.
  • Retrieve all Continuous Memory DTCs.
Is DTC P0340 or P0345 present?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR4 . The fault that produced DTC P0340 or P0345 is intermittent. GO to Z1 .

DR4 DETERMINE CMP SENSOR PHYSICAL TYPE
Is the CMP sensor a drop-in (synchronizer) type?
Yes No
GO to DR5 . GO to DR6 .

DR5 VERIFY CORRECT INSTALLATION OF CMP SENSOR
  • A CMP sensor identifies the cylinder #1 power stroke. A sensor that is improperly installed/indexed can identify the wrong cylinder as #1, produce a tip-in hesitation and generate DTC P0340. VERIFY the correct installation by referring to Electronic Engine Controls, Section 303-14 in the Workshop Manual.
    Note: If the vehicle has a miss and DTC P0340, possible ignition, alternator noise, RFI, and CKP concerns may be present.
Is the CMP sensor installed correctly?
Yes No
GO to DR6 . REPOSITION CMP sensor.

DR6 DETERMINE CMP SENSOR ELECTRONIC TYPE

• Note: VR (Variable Reluctance) sensors have 2-wire connectors, Hall Effect sensors have 3-wire connectors.
Is the CMP sensor a VR type?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR7 . CMP sensor is Hall Effect type. Key OFF. GO to DR13 .

DR7 CHECK CMP SENSOR RESISTANCE
  • Disconnect CMP sensor.
  • Measure resistance of CMP sensor between CMP and SIG RTN.
    Note: CMP sensor resistance values change significantly with temperature rise.
Is resistance between 250 and 1K ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR8 . REPLACE CMP sensor.

DR8 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER IN HARNESS
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Key ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure voltage between CMP circuit (at PCM or CMP harness connector) and battery (-) terminal.
Is voltage less than 1.0V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR9 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR9 CHECK FOR OPEN IN HARNESS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

VR type sensors are susceptible to electrical interference (noise). Harness shielding, where present, should be reinstalled properly when removed for testing.
  • Measure resistance of CMP circuit between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
  • Measure resistance of SIG RTN circuit between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
Are resistance measurements less than 5.0 ohms for each wire?
Yes No
GO to DR10 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR10 CHECK FOR SHORT IN HARNESS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR
  • Measure resistance between CMP and SIG RTN circuit (at either PCM or CMP harness connector).
  • Measure resistance between CMP circuit and battery (-) terminal.
  • Measure resistance between SIG RTN circuit and battery (-) terminal.
Is resistance(s) less than 10K ohms on any measurement?
Yes No
REPAIR short circuit. GO to DR11 .

DR11 CHECK FOR SHORTS IN PCM
  • Reconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance between CMP and SIG RTN circuits at the CMP harness connector.
Is resistance(s) greater than 500 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR12 . REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) .

DR12 CHECK CMP SENSOR OUTPUT
  • Reconnect CMP sensor.
  • Digital multimeter on low voltage AC scale.
  • Measure voltage between CMP and SIG RTN circuit while running engine at approximately 2500 RPM.
Is voltage greater than 0.25V AC?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) . REPLACE CMP sensor.

DR13 CHECK VPWR VOLTAGE TO CMP SENSOR
  • Disconnect CMP sensor.
  • Key ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure VPWR circuit voltage between CMP sensor harness connector and battery (-) terminal.
Is voltage greater than 10.5V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR14 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR14 CHECK PWR GND VOLTAGE TO CMP SENSOR
  • Measure PWR GND circuit voltage between CMP sensor harness connector and battery (+) terminal.
Is voltage greater than 10.5V DC?
Yes No
GO to DR15 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR15 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER IN HARNESS
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Key ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure voltage between CMP circuit (at PCM or CMP harness connector) and ground.
Is voltage less than 1.0V DC?
Yes No
Key OFF. GO to DR16 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR16 CHECK FOR OPEN CIRCUITS BETWEEN PCM AND CMP SENSOR

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.
  • Disconnect PCM and CMP sensor.
  • Measure resistance of CMP, VPWR and PWR GND circuits between PCM harness connector and CMP sensor harness connector.
Are resistance measurements less than 5.0 ohms for each wire?
Yes No
GO to DR17 . REPAIR open circuit.

DR17 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GND IN HARNESS
  • Measure resistance between CMP and PWR GND circuits (at either PCM or CMP harness connector).
Is resistance(s) greater than 10K ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR18 . REPAIR short circuit.

DR18 CHECK FOR SHORTS IN PCM
  • Measure resistance between CMP circuit and both the VPWR and PWR GND circuits at the CMP harness connector.
Is resistance(s) greater than 500 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DR19 . REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) .

DR19 CHECK CMP SENSOR OUTPUT DURING CRANK MODE
  • Reconnect CMP sensor.
    Note: On vehicles equipped with 150 pin PCMs and PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System), RECONNECT the Transmission (T) and Body (B) PCM connectors ONLY if disconnected. The engine may not crank unless they are connected. Keep the Engine (E) connector disconnected.

• Digital multimeter on 12V DC scale.
  • Connect digital multimeter between CMP and the PWR GND circuit at the PCM Harness Connector.
  • Crank engine for at least 10 revolutions.
Does voltage reading switch between low (less than 2.0V DC) and high (greater than 8.0V DC)?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) . REPLACE CMP sensor.

hotcobra03

Established Member
this is all from ford.

for a fast class..google..how to test ford 4.6 engine sensors with a multimeter..

here you will find step by step in lame mans terms with color pics..and short vids..

very easy to test. link will tell everything you need to know down to what setting to use with meter.

i had this code..after work..
mine was stretched wire 1 inch back from connector.

i tested from sensor to main engine plug..big 1 with 10mm bolt..

i asked about cam gear..some adjustable gears are an issue on ours.air gap causing code

dmaxxx

Established Member
The work that was done was, tuned couple of years ago and had bigger injectors and a diablo sport mafia also the alternator was replaced at some point, the car has maybe 1k miles on it since that work was done,it has set most of the time, I bought the car off a close friend who just lost all interest in cars and I'm trying to get the bugs worked out. The car has started running really rich and carbon fouled new plugs in 50 miles, also I can rev the car and as the rpms are falling try to rev it again and it will miss or hesitate then rev back up, I'm open too all the info I can get.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I just got this same code on my ford truck . It’s jerking a bit and lost power . Went in OREILLY and use their scanner . Sure it cam shaft position bank 1 . Buy the sensor for $17 dollar BW brand . There is 2 sensor one on driver side and one on pass side . P0340 mean passenger side . I replace the sensor and truck ran perfect again . No cel since then .

hotcobra03

Established Member
What does "(RFI, and CKP) concerns may be present" stand for ??
ckp is abrivation for cam sensor..
rfi..are the capacitors on back of heads..

these will take away noise from electrical system.

our car only has 1 cam sensor.

you can pull sensor..test dr7..

see note..put in ice box..wait 5 mins. retest..you will see number's change.

if sensor passes like mine did..it is from other issue..

you can test on car..should see 1 volt on and off real fast..that tells cam gear to sensor is good..

when you go to pull connector.you will see,pulling of wires may happen easy.

than size of wires used are thin..

leaning on,dropping things are what does these stupid things.during repairs,

it' hard..I can only judge by what my car has done..at 418,000 miles most is original.

I did just have the dfpegr sensor go bad. we have pic and pull here..I got a sensor for couple bucks

so age now can start to play a role in parts failing..

hotcobra03

Established Member
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/svt_documents.htm

scroll down..2003 service manual.

big pc version is where that info came from.

small version doesn't have this section

larger has the best wiring diagrams to follow..has picture of connectors and wire colors and pin location that shows the changes between models.

with this..you have answers and how to fix everything on this car..

I had gotten a manual on cd rom from ebay back in 05..

disc was all ford vehicles from car to tractor yrs 2003 2004..
best 20 bucks I've spent..
ford truck changed 03/04 so it covers many yrs..

dmaxxx

Established Member
I put a new sensor on and it seems to be better but I've came across something else, 1: when running through the gears pretty hard or revving the engine the fuel pressure will drop to 1 to 5lb which will cause it too hesitate for a sec then fuel pressure goes right back up, this is all according too my aeroforce gauge. 2: this may sound crazy but here goes, this car didn't have a passenger side inner fender so I put one in it and now the car surges at idle badly and when coming to a stop the rpms come down and it goes dead but starts right back up and it has never done that before, now is it possible that when I put the inner fender back in that the filter is not getting enough air? The filter is a k&n that stays inside the engine compartment.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
The filter got nothing to do with it . I seen some set up where the filter tuck way back in back of the engine . You may want try to clean your mass air sensor . Fuel filter . When last time you doing any tune up ? Plug ... wire....
I put a new sensor on and it seems to be better but I've came across something else, 1: when running through the gears pretty hard or revving the engine the fuel pressure will drop to 1 to 5lb which will cause it too hesitate for a sec then fuel pressure goes right back up, this is all according too my aeroforce gauge. 2: this may sound crazy but here goes, this car didn't have a passenger side inner fender so I put one in it and now the car surges at idle badly and when coming to a stop the rpms come down and it goes dead but starts right back up and it has never done that before, now is it possible that when I put the inner fender back in that the filter is not getting enough air? The filter is a k&n that stays inside the engine compartment.

dmaxxx

Established Member
The filter got nothing to do with it . I seen some set up where the filter tuck way back in back of the engine . You may want try to clean your mass air sensor . Fuel filter . When last time you doing any tune up ? Plug ... wire....

I just did all the tune up stuff and have cleaned the maf, At the moment I'm more concerned with why my fuel pressure drops to 1lb to 5lb for a split second then jumps up to normal.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Does it happen again ? Or that just one time you get on it . Try get on it again see if it does the same

dmaxxx

Established Member
Does it happen again ? Or that just one time you get on it . Try get on it again see if it does the same
If i'm driving hard my fuel pressure will rise from 39lb to 50 something lbs and when I shift the pressure will fall to 1 to 5lbs for a split sec then right back up and it will also do this when in neutral revving the engine, you rev it up let off and step back on the throttle and the pressure does the exact same thing, also when i'm just cruising and I let off the gas coasting and when I step back on the throttle just normal driving the fuel pressure will do the same thing, i'm needing some direction on what do look for or what to test?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Normal for pressure to go up under load. Wouldn't worry about that unless a/f is off. You have a wideband a/f gauge?

Users who are viewing this thread