help with missfire

flip_86

Established Member
i'm kinda in the middle of getting my tune worked out, truck was running a little rich, but now after a recent trip to the dyno it has a missfire during wot. It runs great all other times, 3/4 throttle it runs good, pulls hard, but wot it missfires and struggles. Has whipple 2.3 at 16psi, sbtb, ba2600, cai and tune. Fuel filter isn't very old, plugs are 3 or 4 months old. I checked on here for plug gap spec and i think i gapped them at .034, i was also running less boost at the time. I'm thinking either i have a coil dying, or maybe the spark plug gap is too big and spark is being blown out, but again this just happened recently so coil is probably more likely.

Is there any other ideas? Is there a way i can check the coils? Maybe with sct x4?

Dusten

Established Member
Pull the plugs. Before you check anything else check them. Testing for a weak coil requires more software than the x4. You can ohm a coil pack but that'll only test a dead coil not a weak one

flip_86

Established Member
Pulled all the plugs, 2 burnt, front on the right bank and rear on the left bank, replaced all the plugs with new gapped at .033. Ran it, ran worse than before. Pulled all the plugs again, all good. Ran if again, no change. No cel

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Hopefully, you didn't eat up the plug bosses with that detonation.

Do you have anybody that you might know at Ford that could help you out with an IDS power balance test or retrieval of mode 6 data? This is the easiest way to determine suspect cylinders.

Dusten

Established Member
Pulled all the plugs, 2 burnt, front on the right bank and rear on the left bank, replaced all the plugs with new gapped at .033. Ran it, ran worse than before. Pulled all the plugs again, all good. Ran if again, no change. No cel
It takes a lot for these trucks to throw a misfire cel.

flip_86

Established Member
The shop i dyno at can do a cylinder ballance test, if it was head damage would it have gotten worse after changing the plugs though? I guess with the burnt plugs it could have caused incomplete burn and wouldnt have been as noticeable

Dusten

Established Member
The shop i dyno at can do a cylinder ballance test, if it was head damage would it have gotten worse after changing the plugs though? I guess with the burnt plugs it could have caused incomplete burn and wouldnt have been as noticeable
You answered your own question

flip_86

Established Member
Did a cylinder ballance test, #1 cylinder is dead, the plug is new, swaped coil with another cylinder, tested again, #1 still dead. No oil or coolant contamination or consumption, nothing unusual in the oil seperator, sounds like a head problem

flip_86

Established Member
Pulled all the plugs again, something hit the spark plug in number one, the top of the piston is damaged, motor is coming out. Any tips on pulling the motor to speed things up

Dusten

Established Member
It's unlikely something hit it. It's likely it was detonation.

Pulling the engine is pretty straight forward

flip_86

Established Member
i recovered the a/c system, how do the lines at the back of the head seperate? just push the white tabs in?

Dusten

Established Member
lines at the back of the head? The heater core lines? ya, just push the white tabs and seperate.

flip_86

Established Member
Got everything undone, almost ready to pull it out, just the motor mount bolts left. Impact gun wouldnt turn them, and i'm using a newer mac gun. I had a 1/2" ratchet with a 1.5" wrench on the handle to get some extra length, i got it to turn about 1.5 turns, surprised it didn't break, i dunno what i'm gonna do next, i don't have a torch set there. I have a longer ratchet i could bring home though, or maybe take some weight off.

Users who are viewing this thread