Help with manifold/intercooler removal

c6vette

Established Member
Anything I need to be aware of when removing the intake manifold? Just drain the I/C and engine coolant and unbolt it? Anybody have a link with destructions?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Anything I need to be aware of when removing the intake manifold? Just drain the I/C and engine coolant and unbolt it? Anybody have a link with destructions?

The only real hangup is the coolant line/hose connection in the back lower center. It's a real bitch to get to. Also, you're going to want the whole engine/trans harness out of the way. That's not a lot of fun either, as it snakes all over the engine.

Before you remove anything, go over the whole intake area with compressed air to remove any dirt/debris so it doesn't fall into the intake ports when you remove the intake. Also, keep track of all your nut/bolts, injector clips, etc. Any missing pieces could have fallen into an intake port.

Aside from that, it's pretty straightforward.

c6vette

Established Member
well, the manifold is ready to come off with the exception of the coolant line in the back. Is it possible to lift the manifold partially to provide better access to remove the rear coolant line?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The best way is to release the clamp and push it down, then while removing the manifold pull it up and off the hose. It's a short hose and doesn't have/allow much movement otherwise. Then upon reinstallation, you'll set the manilfold nipple down onto the hose simultaneously as setting the manilfold into place.

If that makes sense.

c6vette

Established Member
One clamp is turned under the manifold and I can't get a tool on the one that is accessible. I don't want to let it beat me, so I'll struggle with it for another couple of hours before I do the rational thing and cut the hose...

Thanks

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
One clamp is turned under the manifold and I can't get a tool on the one that is accessible. I don't want to let it beat me, so I'll struggle with it for another couple of hours before I do the rational thing and cut the hose...

Thanks

That little hose is about $12 from any of the Ford vendors here, so it's not a big deal if you have to cut it. It's part number 7R3Z-18472-C.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Hose clamp pliers like this might work, but it going to depend on the orientation of the tabs on the clamps whether you can get them on there.

107932.jpg

c6vette

Established Member
That would do it! I suppose I should check around to see if I can find a loaner.

c6vette

Established Member
As much as I hate to buy cheap tools, I just ordered one for $16 from Ebay.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

c6vette

Established Member
Thanks. The blower's off and the manifold is ready to be pulled. I just thought I better take a break when I ran into trouble with the heater hose. I was going to lift the manifold partially to provide access to the hose clamp, but it seemed unlikely that wouldn't result in damaging a gasket or surface without another set of hands.

Users who are viewing this thread