Help with Lock Up, OD, Tran Brake wiring on BC Automotive (Darrin) 4r70w

mhinchley

Established Member
20140919_1501401_zps79cb12dd.jpg

20140920_0634051_zpsec62b112.jpg

20140920_0634431_zpsf41a3177.jpg

What are these 5 wires?

Black, White, Orange .......................Gray, Green (from left to right)?

I believe the 2 wire barrel solenoid (Gray, Green) is for lock up from other posts that I read (TCC Torque Converter Clutch solenoid for trans dummies like me) ? It appears that Gray is 12v switched( pin 8 ) & Green is neg (pin 3).

What about the 3 wire plug for the 2 shift solenoids beside that Black, White, Orange? They pin out to the external transmission connector, & I DO know which pin is which on the bulkhead from continuity testing. Just not sure what they are (NOT a trans guy).

Update: I found a clear picture of the 2 shift solenoids and they are labeled internally in the receptacle itself +, 1, 2. So it appears that orange is +, white is solenoid #1 & neg (overdrive pin #1), black is solenoid #2 & a neg (trans brake pin #6).

This is a mvb, trans brake, lock up triple disk Circle D converter. My plan is to wire LU, OD, LL (already installed & functional) to individual safety toggles & relays. Trans brake another toggle & relay, but also through the off button on the cruise control as well (momentary switch).

FYI, I have the T56 & 4r70w harnesses. I moved the needed items from the 4r70w into the T56 harness via adding pin in or soldering. So I should be okay with the harness. Going to use the manual position sensor to control back up lights & neutral/safety. May even wire in back up lights with trans brake, so don't have to flip the toggle to reverse. TBD. Sure there will be more questions over the next few days as I try to wrap this up.

LMK if any of these assumptions are incorrect.

Last edited:

mhinchley

Established Member
Updated OP. Trying to keep confusion for myself and others in the future to a minimum. One of the differences is some of the pin outs on pre-97 & post-98 are not the same. Looks like I have pre-97 solenoids & bulkhead, but post-98 4r70w harness.

On the harness, I had to add a wire to pin hole #1 because it was empty, but the bulkhead for the transmission was occupied.

Last edited:

mhinchley

Established Member
Thanks. I have that as I had a FB trans in my Fox. Looks like Darrin actually did follow that same recipe. I will clarify the wiring shortly as I wrap this up. I had landscape crap I had to do Monday, & emergency plumbing yesterday & today after work..........back to car tomorrow.

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Darrin used FB valve bodies pretty much exclusively, thats probably why it looks the same.

Users who are viewing this thread